Greece Canal Ponds Pike

Does anyone have any advice for the pike in the Greece Canal Ponds. I have seen lots of them including a 30+” swim up right by the gazebo and had one attack a carp I hooked but I only have caught 2 within the past two years and was wondering if anyone had advice in terms of what part to fish and lures besides a daredevle or a way to fish them weedless especially for the big ones

8 minutes ago, muskiedreams said:

It is news to me if there is anything worth catching in that puddle. I tried 20 years ago and there wasn't much of anything in there except tiny panfish and minnows. It was very shallow and weedy.

Largemouth Bass, very few smallmouth caught one myself pike, carp, crappies, bluegills,perch and have been told catfish

I was thinking of the pond at greece canal park off of elmgrove. He is referring to the ponds off of long pond. I have got some nice bass and panfish in those ponds. Haven’t fished there in years. I would try chartreuse and white spinnerbaits or chatterbaits for the pike 

Edited by fisherman21

Just now, Big fat pike said:

That sounds more like the 2 ponds by unity hospital

The Unity pond is another carp spot but I'm talking the same ponds as you are.  The photo you posted is right near my mother in laws work.  

10 minutes ago, fisherman21 said:

I was thinking of the pond at greece canal park off of elmgrove. He is referring to the ponds off of long pond. I have got some nice bass and panfish in those ponds. Haven’t fished there in years. I would try chartreuse and white spinnerbaits or chatterbaits for the pike 

Thx and advice in terms of what part of the pond. Im at a loss in terms of what part until they clear out a bunch of the weeds in front of the gazebo creating 2 weedbeds  

43 minutes ago, Big fat pike said:

Never seen a grass carp in there also the back ground doesn’t look anything like either ponds besides the island

still a nice fish

You might want to take a ride by Unity......  This is the pond right along Long Pond Rd by the senior living community.   when this photo was taken, there was only one pond.  A year after this photo, they added the second pond.  

If you look at the photo here, you will clearly see the island that is in the background of the grass carp photo.  The second photo you will see the sign that is in the background of the carp photo…

3F6ECDA8-B083-4735-82EC-515A5007B871.jpeg

D52263DC-DAFB-44F5-BE2E-50FE51FF4FD6.jpeg

Edited by GAMBLER

Gambler only one pond? that was like 30 year's ago used to be a ton of small bass back than I would ride my bike there. When they expanded it they partially drained it heard a rumour that it killed off the fish back than I didn't know any better so I never went back always wondered if was any good again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

44 minutes ago, ifishy said:

Gambler only one pond? that was like 30 year's ago used to be a ton of small bass back than I would ride my bike there. When they expanded it they partially drained it heard a rumour that it killed off the fish back than I didn't know any better so I never went back always wondered if was any good again.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

At unity, I'm talking about the pond out front.  There are tons of carp both common carp and a handful of grass carp in the front pond.  When the cotton wood flies, the grass carp sip the cottonwood off the surface.  We made cottonwood flies out of white glow bug yarn and used fly floatant gel to make them float.  You could spot the grass carp sipping off the surface and cast 6' in front of them and they would suck it in. We also chummed with bread and did the same thing to imitate floating bread.  It worked great and was a blast on a fly rod.  There used to be a lot of bass in there but now the carp have killed off all the vegetation and I havent seen a bass in there in years.  

Edited by GAMBLER

38 minutes ago, Big fat pike said:

Where do you park there 

You have to park in the lot adjacent to the pond.  If you park along the road, they will boot you out.  There is a parking lot to the South of the pond. 

1 minute ago, GAMBLER said:

You have to park in the lot adjacent to the pond.  If you park along the road, they will boot you out.  There is a parking lot to the South of the pond. 

And do you still get grass carp at unity has i have fished there since 2014 and never seen one

1 minute ago, Big fat pike said:

And do you still get grass carp at unity has i have fished there since 2014 and never seen one

Yes.  My buddy still goes there and does it.  There is only a handful of grass carp in there.  Chum with bread and you will see them.  They are usually schooled together.  

1 minute ago, GAMBLER said:

Yes.  My buddy still goes there and does it.  There is only a handful of grass carp in there.  Chum with bread and you will see them.  They are usually schooled together.  

What part of the pond and would a hook with bread work(no bobber or weight)

Just now, Big fat pike said:

What part of the pond and would a hook with bread work(no bobber or weight)

The entire pond.  You just worked around the pond looking for them.  We used fly rods with no weight.  Chum with bread and make flies out of white glow bug yarn.  You will also need dry fly floatant to make them float.