Spin Doctor preferences?

Hi folks,

requesting support as to when it's best to use either glow spin doctor vs. uv spin doctor? recommended spin doctors for the morning or mid day? cloudy days vs bright sunshine? thanks for any guidance, as I increase my knowledge of their use.

They each have their days and even times.

To keep it simple ... UV needs sunlight ... so you probably won't use it much if it's cloudy, dark or you are deep in water.

Instead you'll resort to glow.

There are a few flashers and flies that are both glow and UV ... so they have both!

1 hour ago, TyeeTanic said:

They each have their days and even times.

To keep it simple ... UV needs sunlight ... so you probably won't use it much if it's cloudy, dark or you are deep in water.

Instead you'll resort to glow.

There are a few flashers and flies that are both glow and UV ... so they have both!

Yep, that's my thought too - flashers and flies with glow and UV will probably be my focus. 

any recommendations on light vs dark spin doctors in the morning, afternoon or evening? Does it really matter?  

Dark we almost always focus on the glow ... those normally come in green colors, but honestly I don't think the color matters too much.

When the light comes out ... color is dependent on a few things, I'd say the most important are (a) time of the year), and (b) depth you're placing the paddle in.  

I'll talk briefly about (b) depth. The theory is that fish see only certain colors at depth. Search up fish color spectrum ... and you'll see that certain colors completely disappear at 60' or deeper.

Now in terms of (a), I find chartreuse works early in the season, then blues/silvers, then greens, then reds/oranges/purples towards the end of the summer. However, that isn't a steadfast rule ... you would start with those colors, but if you don't get bites, you would normally flip in a couple of different colors to see if something else is working that day.  And then there's further complexity ... the color that worked between 7 am and 10 am may not work between 3 pm and 6 pm.  So, it's good to still keep some different colors out there, and clue in on what the fish want at that moment in time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 5:51 PM, TyeeTanic said:

Dark we almost always focus on the glow ... those normally come in green colors, but honestly I don't think the color matters too much.

When the light comes out ... color is dependent on a few things, I'd say the most important are (a) time of the year), and (b) depth you're placing the paddle in.  

I'll talk briefly about (b) depth. The theory is that fish see only certain colors at depth. Search up fish color spectrum ... and you'll see that certain colors completely disappear at 60' or deeper.

Now in terms of (a), I find chartreuse works early in the season, then blues/silvers, then greens, then reds/oranges/purples towards the end of the summer. However, that isn't a steadfast rule ... you would start with those colors, but if you don't get bites, you would normally flip in a couple of different colors to see if something else is working that day.  And then there's further complexity ... the color that worked between 7 am and 10 am may not work between 3 pm and 6 pm.  So, it's good to still keep some different colors out there, and clue in on what the fish want at that moment in time.

Tyee, wanted to come back around and thank you for your responses. Very helpful! 

• 2 weeks later...