Pickerel fishing suggestions

We're going to be flying up to a pristine lake in Northern Ontario to target some walleye this year.

I've never done walleye fishing ... but I got myself a nice rod and reel based on the advice of a few guys who have

been doing this for years.

Question is on lures, jig, etc recommendations.  What is your go to for this stuff. I'm going to buy what the

guys I'm travelling with tell me to buy ... but I thought maybe someone here has a secret weapon that they don't know about!

Haha.

Thanks for any advice guys!

I've done about 20 fly-in fishing trips in northern Ontario and the best tackle has been jigging with live minnows in the honey holes and slow trolling with orange bellied stick baits.  Rice lake in particular was always hot for the orange belly - didn't matter what kind of lure be it a rapala or other, so long as the belly was orange.   We even had a friend try Spray painting his lure bottoms orange and it worked!   Typically the water color of the lakes is dark brown (looks like Coca-Cola) and for whatever reason the orange seemed to compliment it well.

Most of their lakes also have northern pike, although some have smaller populations.  We've had good luck on the classic red and white spoons, Johnson's weedless silver spoons, and spinner baits.  Anything with that silver flash seemed to do well.  And don't be surprised if a big pike hits the small walleye you're reeling in.   I've seen this 3 different times and it's fun.  Best part is that they don't let go, even when the net comes out next to the boat.  

Good luck. 

9 hours ago, Tip-sea-tuna said:

I've done about 20 fly-in fishing trips in northern Ontario and the best tackle has been jigging with live minnows in the honey holes and slow trolling with orange bellied stick baits.  Rice lake in particular was always hot for the orange belly - didn't matter what kind of lure be it a rapala or other, so long as the belly was orange.   We even had a friend try Spray painting his lure bottoms orange and it worked!   Typically the water color of the lakes is dark brown (looks like Coca-Cola) and for whatever reason the orange seemed to compliment it well.

Most of their lakes also have northern pike, although some have smaller populations.  We've had good luck on the classic red and white spoons, Johnson's weedless silver spoons, and spinner baits.  Anything with that silver flash seemed to do well.  And don't be surprised if a big pike hits the small walleye you're reeling in.   I've seen this 3 different times and it's fun.  Best part is that they don't let go, even when the net comes out next to the boat.  

Good luck. 

Cool! Would be grateful to see some photos of some of the lures and stick baits you use, to get an ideas of pattern and SIZE,

My favorite walleye technique is a bottom bouncer with a crawler harness (spinner with 1-3 hooks to hold the nightcrawler).  My son and I did a drive-in walleye trip for his high school graduation present and that was pretty much all we used.  We caught over 200 walleye that week.  1.5 to 2oz bottom bouncer, depending on depth, and a hammered brass crawler harness is my go-to.

Good luck!