Reattach Shifter

Hello All,

So this project began last November.  With no mechanic experience, I redid the seals on my lower unit, and did the water pump while I was in there.  now that I'm ready to reattach everything, I am stymied by how to re-attach the coupling for the shifter rod.  I had to pull off a bunch of stuff to detach it, but now i find I  just can't get in there to fit the pieces back together.  Here is a picture of the space I have to work in.  I imagine I have to remove the carburetor that is in my way?  Was hoping I don't have to , for fear of buggering that up (the linkage for the choke valve looks delicate).  None of the youtube videos I watched had this tight a space to work in.

PeteShifter.thumb.jpg.a7046634f4f16268068c4c45e30e082a.jpg

Good morning Pete.

I just saw your post today.

Don't be afraid of taking the carburetor off.  You will need that working room. All you need to do is taking the carb off and everything will be easy. You can also take the starter off and approach the whole thing from the other side.

Just get your camera and take pictures of every step you take so you know what to do when getting every thing back together.

after you have loosened the 2  nuts off you can move the carburetor a bit forward and then up a bit. that may be enough to get it done. Otherwise, just loosen up the connections and take the carb out.

Here is a fairly useful youtube off what to do.

Edited by rolmops

On 5/15/2022 at 7:17 AM, rolmops said:

Good morning Pete.

I just saw your post today.

Don't be afraid of taking the carburetor off.  You will need that working room. All you need to do is taking the carb off and everything will be easy. You can also take the starter off and approach the whole thing from the other side.

Just get your camera and take pictures of every step you take so you know what to do when getting every thing back together.

after you have loosened the 2  nuts off you can move the carburetor a bit forward and then up a bit. that may be enough to get it done. Otherwise, just loosen up the connections and take the carb out.

Here is a fairly useful youtube off what to do.

Cornelius,

Just letting you know that today I finally got everything back together. It seems to work, but I have to bring it to Silver Lake and drive around to be sure.  Thanks for all your coaching. Like most projects I tackle, it was tougher than I thought it would be!

16 hours ago, Pete Collin said:

Cornelius,

Just letting you know that today I finally got everything back together. It seems to work, but I have to bring it to Silver Lake and drive around to be sure.  Thanks for all your coaching. Like most projects I tackle, it was tougher than I thought it would be!

I think that before too long, you will help others with your skills, be it outboards or trees. That’s what being a decent person is all about.

• Like 3