Made my way up north Friday a.m. and picked up the boat on the way. Gassed up, loaded gear, and got to Sackets Harbor launch around 2:30 for a solo trip. Trolled Black River Bay, looking for walleye. 3 color went off while I was setting but came unbuttoned. Shortly after, the 3 color went off again. Landed a nice pike. Landed another pike on a 4 color, smaller and quite beat up. 
Saturday a.m., engine starts and stalls (normal for my ‘98 cold 2-stroke). Then just makes a click sound! Switch to spare battery, no

luck, just clicks 😖. Load the boat and head back to camp. Run to Watertown for a new battery… still just a click! 😫  Must be the starter. Get on the phone, Burt Goodnough marina is open and have a rebuilt starter that fits!!! Pull the one in the engine, run a half hour down route 3, grab the rebuilt one, run back, slap it in, and the engine turns right over! 👍🏼 Went out for a couple afternoon hours with my brother, but didn’t move a rod. 
Wishin I got more fishing in, but the necessary repair got taken care of and the boat will be ready for the next time! And I can’t thank the folks at the marina for their skill, explanations and stock. They got me back on the water quick! 

C524F4F0-1212-45CF-BD33-75A739AF66AC.jpeg

09969A5A-67B1-4974-AF58-8EB37FFEC91A.jpeg

Edited by greenboatluke
  • Like 8

Lots of folks can't wait to jump on the internet to get that "best price" , I've got to admit to doing in at times too. 

These small local shops really have a tough time competing and will surely be missed when they're run out of business. I'm sure having the parts available and a mechanic who will talk you through a problem is worth a couple bucks to help cover their overhead.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Pair of Jacks said:

Luke you mentioned your second pike was “quite beat up.”  Lampreys or fighting with other pike?

Respectfully

Scott

Mostly other pike. There was one circular welt on one side, that was fresh.