Seneca Lakers 200+fow

Is it worth targeting fish in 250 fow or deeper. Bait was over 220 and stacked as high as 150' off bottom. One guy with me snagged a laker in 250fow but it was no bigger then a sawbellie. Maybe a little bigger. Is it worth getting 2oz weights or jigging spoons for the depth?

Any depth under 150', everything that was marked was hugging bottom or there was nothing.

Fished out of Lodi north then over to the west side.

Sent from my moto e6 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Your on the right line. Most lakers in Seneca are deeper this time of year. I say most but doesn’t mean you can’t get them shallow. By the time May June hits they’ll move in with the bait. Some are still out deep.  Generally you can hit them jigging 130-100 and off the ledges off the drops 40-100ft. All in all when your in that 200ft jigging you have to be on your game to see the hit. And not be windy as I’m sure you know. Good luck. Throw some back if you do get em. Tight lines!

What ever depth your marking the most Consistent trout. Sometimes bait pods are empty I usually drive around and try to mark groups of fish off points, bait with marks of fish or find structure the picture is a group of lakers on a wreck off Roys marina..

88D93F89-87DE-409D-BBF7-7FA9B8642603.jpeg

• Like 1

Yeah wouldn't try it in 200' of water on a windy day. We have fished Cayuga on windy days in 160 to 200 fow but Cayuga has fish all through the water column. We are going to try the north end next most likely. Guess it all depends on weather and wind direction where we fish. It's been nice all week.

The alewive to lake trout ratio in seneca must be about 1 million to 1. Never seen so much bait in a lake. Someone needs to do something about it. More laker stocking.. tiger muskies.. something. Makes it very difficult to fish when the fish are always full and lazy.  

Yeah, there's no fish in Seneca, go to cayuga.... [emoji1787]

Although seneca has been slower than cayuga for a few years, guys usually only fish seneca up to the derby. Seneca always gets great the following week after the derby.

The fish have been plentiful and healthy. Minus some lampreys. They are getting them under control slowly. Sure the bait took off, the direct correlation of high eels and lower catches explain why bait is so intense. Add the super clear water seneca has and the conditions get tougher. The south end is great fishing if looking for a productive silver day. Fish the colored water and you'll have a good outing. As the bait moves in shallow this week, good fishing shall remain consistent from now til labor day.

Also, 80 to 120 has been a consistent laker bite. This warm weather should move that bite to 15 to 60... high lines. Match the bait!

Nick

• Like 1

Size has been lacking in the ones we been getting. Fished from 5 am to 9:30 am. North end. Most fish caught were over 60' to 100'. Guys I fished with were from the north end. I don't believe I have the right jigs/baits for casting silvers. I've caught plenty on Cayuga. Just want to try something new.