Fish hawk customer service

I love my Fish Hawk and have used them for a very long time. When my son and I purchased our current boat we purchased a new X4 and this would have been our third year using it. 
Saturday I used the probe for the first time this year and the unit showed 3.8 degrees down temp. Other than that it was functional. When I got home I went to their website and that very condition was number 2 on the troubleshooting list. Bad temp sensor, no remedy, buy a new one. 
I contacted Fish Hawk and they did give me 25% off but I can’t help think that if it’s a common product defect that they should have done more. I ordered the new probe this morning.  Am I being unreasonable?

I had issues with mine still under warranty, they sent me a new probe but I wasn't going to use it until Sunday, the owner gave me his personal cel # and told me to call him once I was on the water to check a few settings, because of that kind of service they will always have my business. I always tell people I have a nice boat because I fix things for a living that aren't supposed to break. Unfortunately that part of especially electronics is just a part of life.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

They have always given me great service in the past. Guess I just expected the probe to last more than two years and apparently my issue is pretty common. 

Bill like wet the net I keep mine surrounded by padding when not in direct use. I never let it just hang on the rigger when cruising either. They are pretty fragile. I have a little padded cooler bag with separate padded compartments that I keep both the probe and display in when not in use. Trevor Sumption is the guy that owns the company and he is good about standing by things in my experience. I do think that things get vibrated and subjected to a lot of extreme temp changes etc. and these electronics are unfortunately - delicate. I would hope however that given the nature of the  trouble shooting info he is looking into some way of reducing or eliminating eliminating the problem.

X4Dcase.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Just seems to me that they aren’t as helpful as they used to be. Like others here I am very careful with my probe. 
When the problem is at the top of their troubleshooting list it makes you wonder. Great product, no doubt but still disappointing. 

My subtroll lasted almost a decade. With no competition in the temp and speed game, let’s hope they don’t get complacent with customer service or start jacking up prices. 

My subtroll lasted almost a decade. With no competition in the temp and speed game, let’s hope they don’t get complacent with customer service or start jacking up prices. 

I just throw my stuff around and let them get bashed around during transport, leave the head unit in the rain and leave it in the boat all winter....never any issues but if it brakes I know it's been thru everything and would pay the price cause altho I could fish without it I'd never want to. 

• Like 1

25% off is a good deal, ive dealth with companies that wont offer anything. Fish hawk has treated me very well. Had what we thought was a bad head unit( after troubleshooting over the phone.)they sent out a 2nd unit without hesitation. Said to try that and send the one that didnt work back.... well long short it was the fuse holder, it wasnt making contact on the load side (facepalm) I promptly sent back the brand new head unit and a gift. Another great part was they never asked me to pay shipping. So in my experience they have had the best CS I ever dealt with. Sorry for the drawn out story. Tight lines.

Wish my experience this time mirrored yours. I’ve run Fish Hawks for over 25 years, their customer service has always been second to none. 
This time instead of “how can we help?” it’s more like “nothing we can do, can’t be fixed, buy a new one”. 

Edited by whaler1

Bummer. Did they join johnson outdoors which owns minnkota, humminbird and cannon?

seams like they could repair, recall and or refurbish and sell or maybe send you a new sensor to repair

11 hours ago, whaler1 said:

I love my Fish Hawk and have used them for a very long time. When my son and I purchased our current boat we purchased a new X4 and this would have been our third year using it. 
Saturday I used the probe for the first time this year and the unit showed 3.8 degrees down temp. Other than that it was functional. When I got home I went to their website and that very condition was number 2 on the troubleshooting list. Bad temp sensor, no remedy, buy a new one. 
I contacted Fish Hawk and they did give me 25% off but I can’t help think that if it’s a common product defect that they should have done more. I ordered the new probe this morning.  Am I being unreasonable?

It sounds to me that you accidentally switched the screen to Celsius instead of fahrenheit

I had 4 seasons on mine and that happened (x4d probe).  I didn't ask for anything but perhaps should have inquired.  Full last season without issue.  That faulty probe is my backup as speed is still my #1 consideration. I hope the new one lasts.   I did notice that on that probe which is a clear and fully encapsulated probe that I could see something "off" with the old probe compared to the new probe on a few connections...not a burn but a cloudy funk on some internal connections.   Way back when my first fishhawk had a black probe, not clear.  speed and temp only on the pre X4 .....used it forever. Here's to hoping the current one lasts longer than 4 years.   PS I treat my Fishhawk probe better than my wife.  

Edited by Fat Trout
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Exact same thing happened to me twice in 4 years. Both times they gave me the discount. The fella on the phone said to avoid storing them in direct sun light. The refraction of the sun heats up the internals and fries the thyristor. 

But yes, it seems a problem this prolific needs to be addressed somehow...like maybe not making the body transparent perhaps?

Mine is safely stored when not under water.  Always have had great service from them and love the product but they should be taking more responsibility for what is an obvious product issue. 

I had the same issue last summer, 03.8 for temp on my X4D probe.  It was out of warranty by 6 months, but I sent it in to Fish Hawk (Grayden Electronics is the actual name of the company I believe) and they said it couldn't be fixed, but they did offer me a sizable discount on a new probe.  They also sent me back the old probe so if the new one craps out, at least I will have speed and depth...Although temp is really key variable I am looking for.  I had a lengthy email exchange with Trevor, he did say there will be a new revision to the probe due out sometime this year to hopefully address the thermistor failure issues.  He wasn't sure when exactly, but at least that tells me they are working on the problem.  Overall I was really pleased with their customer service, but I was disappointed the thermistor crapped out after only 2 seasons of use...