Got to the launch around 5pm and it was deserted. Not a good sign I thought. I knew most of the salmon were still on the west side but wanted to try out my new terrova trolling motor so catching fish would just be a bonus. Definitely a learning curve using the i-Pilot. Trolling motor would get over powered by my kicker if I didn’t have the TM set on at least 4. Got the hang of it and had a rigger release after awhile. Started taking line out so thought it could be a salmon but turned out to be a big laker. Put out a 10 color LC with mag Carmel dolphin on planer board and got a small salmon that I ended up giving to a woman fishing on the bank. Let out the core again and within a few minutes got another hit this time with the planner board being dragged backwards. Finally got enough line in to take the board off and landed this guy. Was fishing in 125 to 140. Was about 53 degrees on surface and 46 down over a hundred feet. Ended up 3 for 3. Very pleasant day on the water.

E67AB23D-DB44-41EB-8A5D-601693CAC88E.jpeg

• Like 8

4.5 to about 7. It's nice and easier to make small speed changes. I have an 18ft Alumacraft with a 150 yamaha and a 9.9 toshiba kicker. Boat alone is listed at 1600lbs. I don't have canvas either. I think that would complicate things with wind.

That's the speed I had mine at. I was hoping I could get by with it at 1 or 2 setting to save battery power. Also looking into the possibility of a skeg to help the motor.

I have a 17 foot aluminum boat with a 5 hp kicker

Sorry about that pap.

My wife took that in our dining room. You can tell she likes modern art from the painting on the wall. Me? Not so much.

I think this is going to be a great year for salmon fishing. When I fished out of Olcott during the derby the depth finder screen was lit up with fish.

• Like 1

Another thing to keep in mind is the 2 modes of autopilot, legacy and advanced autopilot. They are different. For trolling I use the legacy mode. With the advanced mode the motor tries to correct for cross wind and current which can slow the boat way down. The legacy mode will just keep going towards a given heading. 

6 hours ago, paprman said:

Another thing to keep in mind is the 2 modes of autopilot, legacy and advanced autopilot. They are different. For trolling I use the legacy mode. With the advanced mode the motor tries to correct for cross wind and current which can slow the boat way down. The legacy mode will just keep going towards a given heading. 

Agreed on this.  I never use the "advanced" when trolling. I also agree on your minimum of 4.    I have a terrova 80 (24v) that I ran on an 18 ft starweld.  Now on a Fishmaster 196.  I get plenty of time running I run 4 to 5.5...perhaps 6....sure if its flat I can easily get away with 3.    9.9 kicker generally kept straight with perhaps slight main steering tweaks to help if there is a cross wind.   I have never run out of battery provided I start with a full charge.  

On 5/21/2022 at 10:43 PM, Reel Doc said:

Heck with all the fishing talk, I love the photo with the laptop etc in the background.  Where was that taken?  The King looks great too....

Move that laptop and clean that fish right on the table,,,wife would love that, you can add a touch of red to the painting

9 hours ago, paprman said:

I did that right away after reading someone else's post about legacy vs advanced. Good to know my motor is working same as others.

seeyawader, I used to clean my fish in the kitchen but finally had to put a sink in the basement so I could clean them there. Now everybody is happy