Oneida

Brian

Trying to get an Oneida thread going. The past few weeks I have stayed close to home in Cleveland. Steady shallow bite with larger fish in the before dawn period. The main basin mud flats are holding plenty of smaller fish.This morning a steady pick of suspended fish( 20 down over 40 fow). Turned around and set the electric on auto over the same course at .3 with a bottom scratcher and 1/2 crawler on slow death rig and jigged a rap. One on the rap and constant action on 1/2 crawler. Live well full of larvae. Curious about what’s going on in gravel on west end.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

We did a late morning troll out of the South Shore launch Sunday.  Didn't see a whole out deep but caught the few keepers we were looking for in 25 to 30 feet of water.  Plugs down around 18 to 22 feet deep.  Eerily Naked Reef Runner saw some action.  

Brian, were the larvae big mayfly nymphs? Last year the big hatches were mid June and they shut down the walleye bite for almost a week. To much easy food available.

They were definately mayfly. I don’t expect a big hatch this early.I don’t think there is a lot of baitfish yet, at least I haven’t seen it.

• Like 1

I’m heading to my hunting camp for a work party, walleye fish Thursday - Saturday launching out of Godfrey point. My boat is set up for trolling finger lakes, I was thinking of bringing a lead core rod and a dipsy diver, on the fence on taking riggers off.  Was planning to bottom bounce a worm harness and cast jigging raps but wanted some other options.  Any advice appreciated. 

I’m heading to my hunting camp for a work party, walleye fish Thursday - Saturday launching out of Godfrey point. My boat is set up for trolling finger lakes, I was thinking of bringing a lead core rod and a dipsy diver, on the fence on taking riggers off.  Was planning to bottom bounce a worm harness and cast jigging raps but wanted some other options.  Any advice appreciated. 

I’m with reeleyze, can’t go wrong jigging. If your trolling go with reef runners, stingers, thunder sticks, or comparable deep divers. Boards definately up the catch for me.

Went out this morning also, 6-11am.  Caught 6 eyes, 3 keepers and a couple keeper perch.  Nothing special for size but will make for a nice family dinner tonight.  Found active fish in 40 fow hitting worm harnesses 15-20 ft down.  Only one fish came while dragging harness on the bottom.  8:30-10:00 seemed to be when they were feeding.  Went over the same track twice after 10 and never had another bite.  That was when the sun came out from behind the clouds and the wind died down.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting back up to Oneida this coming Friday.  My fishing partner/son has had National Guard duty for the past month so haven't been up in some time.  Going to launch at Oneida Shores for the first time.  We usually launch at South launch.  Hope the fishing is good.

Fishing is picking up. We trolled over deep water last saturday for suspended fish, and did 5 with 3 being keepers (2 - 19" and 1 - 16") Next time up I will try the shallow jigging program.