Trolling motor

I am getting a new to me boat 

18 ft walk thru windshield 

115 and 8 hp kicker 

I want to get a bow mt trolling motor for bass fishing . But I also know some of you guys use them for Auto pilot for trolling . 

I know nothing about this or what to get . 

Maybe one of my LOU brothers can enlighten me and send me in the right direction . 

49 minutes ago, Prof T said:

24 volt terrova w/ i pilot is pretty standard. 36v means 3 batteries, take up lots of space.

yes.  This is what I have.  24 volt terrova.  72" shaft length....its worth the extra length for trolling in some moderate chop so that you don't cavitate when the bow goes up and down in the waves.  80lb thrust.  I ran it on my Starweld 18 and now on my Fishmaster 196.  works just dandy and plenty of run time. 

The autopilot can work nicely for bass too.  I had a smaller I pilot on my little boat that I had for a while.  it lets you follow a course along a weed edge or whatever or out in the lake over rock piles you can use spot lock etc. 

Edited by Fat Trout

I know a 24v will work fine but I would get a36v if you have the room. Nobody ever complains about to much run time or power. My 36v pulls my 21’ pretty easily. If I know it’s not going to be an all day fishing event I won’t even fire up the kicker because I can pull down riggers and dipseys for at least 5-6 hours with my 36v ulterra. I sincerely believe I catch more fish when I don’t run the kicker. I love silent trolling. As mentioned get a longer shaft if it will fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A Minnkota with I-pilot is the class standard I would say as well. You will def want atleast a 24v, and atleast a 60" shaft. As others have said more power (aka 36v) and a longer shaft (72"+) will only help you in rougher conditions. You could consider matching your electronics to your TM too, Humminbird to Minnkota, Lowrance to Motorguide or Garmin to Garmin, as there additional features you get from matched units. I had a i-pilot Link connected to a Helix on my old boat and was able to have my tm follow contour lines on the map, travel to a specific selected spot on the map, program, save and view routes all on the sonar unit which was nice but prolly not 100% needed to fish. All the big 3 tm have similar main features, like auto-pilot and spotlock/anchor mode which are both most haves imo. Having the bow mount with autopilot and a kicker is a great combo, the bow mount AP does the steering while the kicker does the pushing. Personally my choice would be a Minnkota Terrova or Ulterra (Auto-deploy and stow the tm from the remote).

If you get a Minn Kota set up, you will notice there are two AutoPilot Modes: Legacy and Advanced. I greatly prefer Legacy when using it in conjunction with a kicker.

In Advanced, when you hit it, it sets up a course of virtual waypoints and tries to navigate from one to the next. If the wind or current knocks you off course, it can be an abrupt correction to get you back on that exact line.

In Legacy, it sets up a compass direction to head in. If you get knocked off course, you will continue in that same direction even though you you may be 20 ft to the side.

I fish a wide open river where wind and current are both issues. If I'm pushed off course, a simple press of the steer button heads me in the new direction. Tons of hours doing it and it's second nature.

Thanks for all the great info 

Honestly I just want something to keep the boat straight when I'm fishing alone or when I'm with my wife or a newbie . 

And the bass thing . 

You guys gave me great advice I will follow . 

Thanks to all 

My nephew in Florida and is big into boats told me to check out Rhodan motors . He said a lot of offshore salt guys run them . 

But I'm leaning towards the Minn Kota. 

I fish Florida and Ontario. I have friends with the Rhodan, I have had 2 minn kotas. The minn kota is superior in technology, reliability and fit and finish. Rhodan is a new comer and has a lot of growing to do before it can match minn kota. The vast majority of boats in Florida every day on the water are running minn kota.the  Minn kota web site tells you how to measure your boat for the correct shaft length . Would highly recommend minn kota I pilot.

On 5/26/2022 at 8:18 AM, FishingFool34 said:

A Minnkota with I-pilot is the class standard I would say as well. You will def want atleast a 24v, and atleast a 60" shaft. As others have said more power (aka 36v) and a longer shaft (72"+) will only help you in rougher conditions. You could consider matching your electronics to your TM too, Humminbird to Minnkota, Lowrance to Motorguide or Garmin to Garmin, as there additional features you get from matched units. I had a i-pilot Link connected to a Helix on my old boat and was able to have my tm follow contour lines on the map, travel to a specific selected spot on the map, program, save and view routes all on the sonar unit which was nice but prolly not 100% needed to fish. All the big 3 tm have similar main features, like auto-pilot and spotlock/anchor mode which are both most haves imo. Having the bow mount with autopilot and a kicker is a great combo, the bow mount AP does the steering while the kicker does the pushing. Personally my choice would be a Minnkota Terrova or Ulterra (Auto-deploy and stow the tm from the remote).

I know you say to stay with brand exclusitivity but how would I know to connect a Minnkota tm to a garmin fishfinder? 

I have a MOTORGUIDE Xi5 60 inch shaft 80 lbs thrust/ 24 volt. Also has a BOW MOUNT LIFT for adjusting the height of the motor. this is not remote stow and deploy. just for adjusting the height after the motor has been deployed. Pinpoint GPS, remote with lanyard, wireless foot control, trolling motor plug / fuse, and switch and wiring for the BOW MOUNT LIFT. Actually come to the computer to list this for sale and seen your post.  offering this for 1500.00 dollars. My boat has a closed bow. I got tired of climbing over the windshield to deploy and stow the motor. Bought a MINN-KOTA ULTERRA. Lot safer for me, at 68, to push a button. let me know. thanks

I have a MOTORGUIDE Xi5 60 inch shaft 80 lbs thrust/ 24 volt. Also has a BOW MOUNT LIFT for adjusting the height of the motor. this is not remote stow and deploy. just for adjusting the height after the motor has been deployed. Pinpoint GPS, remote with lanyard, wireless foot control, trolling motor plug / fuse, and switch and wiring for the BOW MOUNT LIFT. Actually come to the computer to list this for sale and seen your post.  offering this for 1500.00 dollars. My boat has a closed bow. I got tired of climbing over the windshield to deploy and stow the motor. Bought a MINN-KOTA ULTERRA. Lot safer for me, at 68, to push a button. let me know. thanks

20210802_155136.jpg

The I pilot minn kota remote is pretty comprehensive , you can set the autopilot and cruise control functions right from the remote as well as hit the anchor button. I fish two to three days a week year round and really don't see the need to tie it into a chart plotter. Just my opinion based on my application.

You can also add a foot controller to it depending on your application which might be useful.

The main reason I like networking the motor to the graph is I can see my course heading on the chart and I can accurately follow contours and such. To me link is well worth the money. You can also control all the motor functions from graph. You don’t even need the remote.

I agree, unless there’s a physical reason you can’t lift the motor. I loved my terrova. The only reason I got an ulterra is I couldn’t find a terrova 36v with 72” shaft and I pilot link. I’ve had no problems with the auto deploy/stow yet but I’m sure it’s a matter of time. More moving parts, especially with electronics is not a good thing in my opinion.

On 5/27/2022 at 11:17 AM, troutman10 said:

I know you say to stay with brand exclusitivity but how would I know to connect a Minnkota tm to a garmin fishfinder? 

You wouldn't connect them, the features you get by connecting them are brand specific. If you had a garmin sonar and minnkota TM you would just use the ipilot remote or foot pedal to control everything. The ipilot LINK version which allows the TM to connect to the sonar will only work with Humminbird sonar unit.