We tried out the Scotty event for the first time this year. Usually I am in Connecticut fishing Candlewood Lake this weekend, but with 18k on the line it was a no brain'r. These guys put on one heck of an event. VERY well organized, and everything went fast from the Captains meeting to the weigh-in's. So here's how it went!

Friday (Big Fish Friday) - The Canadians weren't too quick with fishing license delivery for my father and brother. They ordered them on March 23rd and haven't received them yet. So, they had to go over Friday morning and find a place to get their license. This set us back a few hours along with the drive down the lake. So we got about 4 hours of fishing in. We thought after our practice that we had something figured out, but we couldn't find the larger Salmon. We did 14 bites on various lures. Both sticks and spoons seemed to be working with cohos higher in the water column. Biggest fish we took was 14lbs. The hot spoon for the Coho's seemed to be the Dreamweaver SS Orange Slurpee (again), and the Northern King Black Mamba and Beefeater took the Salmon off the riggers.

Saturday (Day 1) - We got a tip from some friends that there were some bigger fish a little further West of where we had been on Friday. So we take off for those waters. Wind 15-25 out of the SW was tough to fish in, but all excuses aside we couldn't put a program together. We threw everything at them. We had our tournament limit on, but a case of the dropsy's only allowed us to bring in 2 teenage kings on this day. The set-up that saved our butt and got us 4 bites was a Stinger magnum Penguin off our 10 color core down the chute. A Dreamweaver SS Dave Salmon Slapper and a Dreamweaver SS Glow Froggy took the other two bites. So we sat in 54th place at the end of the day out of 72 boats.

Sunday (Day 2) - We changed up our plan, especially after the HARD West winds on Saturday night. We ran around a little before we set down to fish. Once we did it was non stop action for a couple of hours. We started off with a quad! That's four fish on at once. Within 40 minutes we had our five fish in the boat and we were starting to increase our weight. We knew we had some NICE fish in the box. First fish took that same set-up that worked for us on Saturday. A Stinger Magnum Penguin off the 10 color down the chute. Next to go was a NK Sea Sick Waddler off the corner rigger. Then the Dreamweaver SS Glow Froggy off the other corner rigger, and lastly the NK Mulatto from the center rigger. We boated 3 out of the 4 with one being over 20lbs. Set back up and rods started to fly again! The Sea Sick Waddler took off again on the corner rigger. Then again with the Mullato off the center rigger. It was FUN! The last few fish came off the Stinger Penguin and a Smithwick Rouge on a 5 color core.

We ended up getting off the water about 11am with a nice box of Salmon. The bite died for us once the NE winds started to blow. We had the 6th biggest box of the day averaging 18lbs per fish. We finished in 35th place (half way). So, we didn't win any money but we all had a great time.

Yankee great report.where did you guys end up finding a Canadian licence?I thought that they have them around the Niagara area No?What does a peguin look like?Don't think I have ever seen one.Glad you guys had a good time and not bad for new water ether :) .

Yankee great report.where did you guys end up finding a Canadian licence?I thought that they have them around the Niagara area No?What does a peguin look like?Don't think I have ever seen one.Glad you guys had a good time and not bad for new water ether :) .

The stinger Penguin is the Sea Sick Waddler with a white base coat and an orange dot. I'm sure you have some! :lol: Might not be a Stinger brand......

It is where i got the SSW pattern from. A great spoon off a 10 color up west for us the past few years.

PqnlLjS.jpg

Yankee,nice report.

You fish Candlewood?We use to fish it quite a bit,and got some nice browns out of it.We also jigged for trout with tinsel jigs.That was a riot,and frustrating at the same time.

Anchored while jigging,and watching nice rainbows and browns follow the jig up,only to turn away at the last minute.We had some of our best days trolling for rainbows all while being surrounded by jet skis,pleasure boats, and everything in between.It was weird,constant rainbow bite in all that crazy boat traffic.

That is one fertile body of water,and has a species for just about everyone,from cold water to warm water.

Custom,

Everyone was fishing 35-80fow. Leads varied from 6' back off the riggers (cheaters) to 75'. Dipseys we tried 50-125 feet back (with no success). And various lengths of core.

Bigeasy,

I fished it more for its Bass. There is a large tourney out of there the last weekend in April. usually draws 100 teams.

How does the Scotty weigh-in work? Do you catch your boat limit and weigh the best five fish? Can you cull small fish or does everything have to be kept? Is this a six or eight-rod tournament? Sorry for the questions, but it looks like a fun event.

Biggest 5 SALMON. So you can fish with a buddy if you want. We have 5 people on board to help with expenses. If you have 5 guys on board you can keep 15 fish. You weigh your biggest 5. You dont have to keep anything. If its small you put it back. 8 rod max.

Its very fun and well organized.