Packed my lunch and put in a banana to test the myth. We fished for browns early and caught 3 and a couple bonus whitefish in 10-25 fow off boards and 2 color leadcores.
  Things got slow and I was thinking of chucking the banana. We made a move to deeper water and set some snap weights and riggers. Around 11:30 a snap weight took a rip and we soon had our first king of the year. Shortly after the rigger fired and it was another king on the cheater. Missed another good one after having on for quite a while and missed a few other hits and caught another brown and a small king.. By 2:00 the bite slowed and although we trolled another hour had no more hits.

We ended up with a nice mix on a beautiful day and saw very few boats out. Best of all I even got to eat the banana!

E0BD429F-7ECA-4222-AE38-D12652AB25BC.jpeg

EFA1775D-C3C6-4EF3-A4D7-62452750F8D8.jpeg

D3D7DDC3-4FE9-4B76-B7FA-8734201D26E1.jpeg

• Like 7

KJL,

Just double checking if you thought those other fish were Lake Whitefish or Cisco? Just curious and no disrespect intended. For years I've been learning and amazed by your fish filled posts, thank you! Those fish in the picture look like they have kind of pointy noses like a Cisco, instead of the downward turned mouth (like a sucker) of a (Lake) Whitefish. Those 2 species are easily confused, in fact we have to use genetic markers just to tell the larvae apart. I was just surprised by the idea of catching whitefish given how low their population seems to be.

I'm always interested in learning about when folks are catching Lake Whitefish or Cisco and what people think is going on with those fish.  In my head I kind of think Cisco are caught more often based on what I've heard from folks like Captain Bliss and our understanding there are kikely more Cisco than Whitefish in the Lake and they tend to be up in the water where they can hit trolled baits easier than Whitefish that are more often close to the bottom. 

Thanks for all the great posts,

bw

four of us fish the Kenai river in Alaska a couple of summers ago. Three guys caught  kings I was the only one didn’t catch a fish. Packed a banana in my lunch bag by mistake.