Opening Night Itch

Can't wait to get out. Taking the boat out for a run on I-Bay tonight to make sure everything is all squared away for 12:01 AM Saturday. Best of luck to everyone wherever they're going. I'm sure Honeoye, Oneida, and Conesus will be the preferred locations. Oswego River too if you like the adventure and flirting with a hard core game of bumber boats. Personally, I'd rather take in the solace and catch fewer and smaller if it means avoiding the crowds. I'll be looking forward to everyone's reports.

I hear ya brother, I'm really fired up for some fishing. I'm not going out until May 06, to avoid all the crazines at Conesus. I'm suprised there arent more people posting on the boards, I know we have some die hards here. Anyway have a great trip and give us a full report upon your return.

Your Friend,

Waylander

Sure....there's plenty of folks that drop the lines a few hours early. I think some rationalize that they are merely bending the spirit of the law if not honoring the letter of the law. I'll let my conscience be my guide and others are obviously free to do the same. I had a friend die of cancer this past weekend. The first eye is for him. I've decided to start a tradition and let the first one of the season go in his memory.

I know Landshark. I was referring to scramp's post. My folks have a cottage on Honeoye in the cove immediately south of California Point. I've sat there opening night with my boat in the hoist until 11:45 and watched boats working off the point and drop-off hours before midnight. I've gone out early to get that "spot on the spot" and anchored there waiting until midnight while guys pulled up on both sides of me and brought a bunch in. I'm not uptight about it and I don't claim that fishing a few hours before midnight will adversely affect any fishery one bit. And I think the chance of being caught by the DEC is just about zero. I just prefer to play it by the book myself.

bosco will you be out on sat also? I will be out fri but I might go play on the fger lakes but sat I have some suff to do with the wife untill 11 pm. so I already let he know I will be bringing the boat and heading out your way sat night. let me know :beer: also sorry to hear of your loss :(

I had planned on it but I play in a band and we had a rather late add-on to our schedule for this Saturday night. I Imagine I'll be busy until the venue closes at 2:00. I may still take a stab at it after that but my brother-in-law is directing me toward possibly early Sunday evening. I'll be fishing I-Bay. The launch is so close to my house and I've really been trying to dial that fishery in the last couple of years with just a little more success and confidence each try. I got your PM regarding the panfishing on Honeoye too. Thanks. My brother and I went out 2 saturdays ago. A couple tiny bass, a couple small gills and one very nice Crappie. Hardly set the lake on fire but no one was doing anything from what we saw. And it was a beautiful day.

hey bosco;believe it or not ive fished oswego 2 in the previous few years friday-sat mornin and had NO competion in the river.a few boats around the harbour walls.nobody fishes it openin nite until after they read this post.ive made plans to go to oneida.but i should be on oswego 5-8-2008.ill post and let you know;and so long 4 now;john

PqvY5FJ.jpg

I will be on the Susquehanna river for the opener,but it wont be at night!!!I think I am the only one that thinks that you can actually catch limits during the daytime. :(

I will sleep in and get a very respectable start around 8-9 am!

I don't think anyone thinks they CAN'T catch eyes early season in the daytime. For me, it's just a season opening tradition. I prefer to fish at night because there's only two kinds of people on the water at that time. Walleye fishermen, and Walleye fishermen. The yahoos on the pleasure craft and the bass men ripping the spawners off their beds are nowhere to be found. I do believe I catch more at night, but for me, night fishing is more about solitude and tranquility. That'a also why, more often then not, I go alone.

I don't think anyone thinks they CAN'T catch eyes early season in the daytime. For me, it's just a season opening tradition. I prefer to fish at night because there's only two kinds of people on the water at that time. Walleye fishermen, and Walleye fishermen.

Dont forget the Cat fisherman! :lol: