Netting fish

So I am going to suggest something that we have been doing for years that might be of some help. Maybe you already know this trick. A big, deep net is helpful when you decide you are going to keep whatever fish you have at the back of the boat.  We all have probably  seen it where the fish is almost in the net and has other ideas and swims into the excess net, getting the hooks caught in it. Sometimes you get the fish, other times you lose it and possibly lose some gear. We take a heavy rubber band and slide it up the handle to the loop and pull the extra netting through the rubber band. This holds it out of the way and when the fish gets in the net it pulls it out of the rubber band. Good luck.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

one other suggestion that i do on all of my nets,   i use a blacks down rigger release and attach it to the net handle and clip the net into the release.  This keep the net flat back  against the net handle and as soon as you net the fish it releases easily and avoids alot of mess.   I have used these for ever and they work amazing.

• Like 1