What is the determinant factor on trolling speeds?  I mean I know that many factors play a role but I got to thinking the last few weeks out of Mexico we’re successfully trolling at 1.8-2.2mph. Then suddenly last weekend nothing touched the lures at those speeds and found I had to bump up to 2.5-3.3mph.  So whats the general opinion as to what causes us to need to change up the speed? 

The fish have the final say on what they want and how they want it . 

Some days they hit anything that moves . Some days they want it a certain way, speed, size ,color .  . Some days they don't want anything. And all this can change in a heartbeat . 

That's what makes it fun . 

There are many factors mentioned above.  One of the biggest is the tackle you are running.  Too slow, certain spoons have no action.  Too fast certain spoons have too much action.  For example, stingers can be trolled at slower speeds than Dreamweavers but the Dreamweavers have better action at the higher end of the speed spectrum.  

I appreciate all of the responses. I guess however what was missed (Implied but not stated was that the tackle is the same). I was wondering what biological factors have others witnessed playing a role. Do you see a seasonal change, do you notice a speed preference before or after a front passes? Do you find it to change on a rising/falling barometer etc? The lake has started to flip so is there a change in underwater currents associated with this that impact the speed etc…

2 mph to 3 mph, starting point 2.5 mph.

Make some turns ... check if outside or inside lines get a hit.

Outside means you need to speed up, inside means you need to slow down.

Will change from spot to spot, as the under water currents change.

Best to have down speed.

3 hours ago, Oxbow Custom Rods said:

I appreciate all of the responses. I guess however what was missed (Implied but not stated was that the tackle is the same). I was wondering what biological factors have others witnessed playing a role. Do you see a seasonal change, do you notice a speed preference before or after a front passes? Do you find it to change on a rising/falling barometer etc? The lake has started to flip so is there a change in underwater currents associated with this that impact the speed etc…

That is a great question . And very important and overlooked . I fish bass / pike a lot . There are days they slam  a spinner bait or crankbaits and days they won't touch them .Slow fished plastics those days .  Also fly fishing there are days a steelhead or brown will chase a streamer or swung fly and days they won't . Egg fly or nymph better.  

You should know pretty fast if they are in what I call a chasing mood or not . 

Cold fronts , lake flips,  etc , put them down in my experience and you have to slow your presentation down . But sometimes a fast moving lure will draw a reaction strike . 

13 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

2 mph to 3 mph, starting point 2.5 mph.

Make some turns ... check if outside or inside lines get a hit.

Outside means you need to speed up, inside means you need to slow down.

Will change from spot to spot, as the under water currents change.

Best to have down speed.

I understand all this, I’ve been doing it for quite a few years. What I was asking is if anyone has noticed a pattern that was tied to other factors such as time of year, before/after a front, during a lake transition etc. I have a fishhawk that I use to monitor my bait speeds also.

On Lake Ontario, I've not noted a pattern tied to time of yr, fronts, etc.  IMO, speaking to Kings/spoons - it's the spoon action that counts.  Determine the factors that affect that & then try to duplicate it.

11 hours ago, Oxbow Custom Rods said:

I understand all this, I’ve been doing it for quite a few years. What I was asking is if anyone has noticed a pattern that was tied to other factors such as time of year, before/after a front, during a lake transition etc. I have a fishhawk that I use to monitor my bait speeds also.

Oh sorry ... yeah, for sure I'd say colder = slower ... but also towards the end of the year, it's tough, but I'd generally start faster, because kings are striking out of aggression, rather than to feed, and we want more erratic presentations to trigger that bite.

Yes! Look at trout in a clear creek… drag a spinner by them slowly and I think they take it IF they are hungry. But often they’ll follow it but not commit. Crank the speed up as you retrieve it snd you trigger an aggression strike. That’s what I imagine occurs on the lake but I’ve never looked at how it relates to temps or fronts…