Canandaigua Trout Derby Report

Day 1

we launched at 445am with Jeremy and my Father in-law, lines were in at 5am sharp. We setup in 150 fow west side and noticed fish were  up high! 50 degree temp break was 47 feet down.  Didn’t mark a ton of bait 

80 foot torpedo weighted steel brought in bring 3 bows and 1 miss.  Can’t  tell

you how much I love weighted steel! Such a great product! No tangles and super durable. 

5 color brought in 2 lakers no bows. 

Riggers at 47 we’re also hot bring in 1 bow and a handful of  of lakers

Ran gamblers with a UV 2 face and alien glow with green and yellow bells brought a handful of fish. The 6.5lb laker Jeremy caught that was on the board for a few hours was caught on the UV2 Face in 120 fow on the bottom 

Dipsy set at 2 at 125 with a glo green jeans flasher and glow green spin n glo brought up a nice laker but nothing else on that setup. 

Back at the dock by 11am sine Jeremy had to work in the after noon! 

Day 2 

My awesome wife Erika and I launched at 5am on the dot and had rods in quick in 70 fow east side thanks to some intel from a buddy. Riggers were set 47 foot down . Used the northern king bloody nose glow and green dot glow that I charged for about 1 min before they went down had us doubled up before we could set the 80 weighted steel. Brought in a nice 8lb laker and a 6lb laker.  

marked a lot of bait on the east side in 60 to 70 fow!  Temp Break at 50 was only 40 feet down.  The west side was yesterday was 47 feet down.  

5 color was hot with the blue gold UV and blue silver UV colors on some prototype spoons I can’t share. They  pulled in about 5  decent sized  lakers through the day. 

80 weighted steel down 15 was hot on the brown trout orange cup (also a prototypes) and so did the white and blue and orange alewife.  Swapped out to the silver DW mag and that took 2 bows the brown trout also took about 3, chin music took 2 

Riggers were the quietest today and landed 2 lakers. 

The bows wanted to play today and the 3 color was hot. I should of put the 3 colors of the 5 color rod out the back of the boat most of the day because as soon as  I did that for the last hour and picked up 2 more.  

back at the dock by 11am 

Best 2 day depth was 70 fow on the east side at 2.3 mph 

Last year the Canandaigua Derby was my first non FLTA competitive fishing tournament and In 2 days of fishing I only landed like 3 fish.  It was humbling and really lit a fire in me to figure out other ways to catch fish outside just using riggers.  

This year with led core, weight steel and divers we boated easy 30 fish.  Thanks to Dan P and Brett Curtis for sharing intel through out the weekend.  

406A3B62-5640-4675-8769-CAD3E7ACA7E0.jpeg

17C48BA9-1597-4D09-9602-8F6CA2540CAF.jpeg

• Like 6

Nice going adesalvo, you had a heck of a program. Thanks for the report. Great read. We had a 5.8 rainbow on the board for a little bit. Bled like a stuck pig. Tried the bottom work but was tough with the depth changes and wind yesterday. 

• Like 1

Great report adesalvo! My son and I were able to make it out Sunday. I started solo around 6 something and picked him up later. Newer to my riggers and making a conscious effort at trolling. Put out a spin dr and atomic fly mostly just off bottom around 90 down, reel rage electric muffin at 50 (both on riggers) and a black widow stinger on 5 color. Changed spoons thoughout the morning. Fished till noonish. Fished ne side from Christian camp to ne Park area most of the morning. Fished a 3 color and 5 color with riggers once the boy joined me. Went 3 for 3 which I was happy about eventhough that's probably slow for alot of you. 9 lb laker just missed the board, a 3-4 lb laker and the boy caught a rainbow that was just barely legal. Big laker came on spin dr w/ fly was a challenge solo, smaller laker came on a rr electric muffin, and bow came on a dreamweaver ss confusion with 3 color. Hoping to improve just like you're saying adesalvo. Life is good!

20220605_100915.jpg

• Like 6

11 hours ago, troutman10 said:

Great report adesalvo! My son and I were able to make it out Sunday. I started solo around 6 something and picked him up later. Newer to my riggers and making a conscious effort at trolling. Put out a spin dr and atomic fly mostly just off bottom around 90 down, reel rage electric muffin at 50 (both on riggers) and a black widow stinger on 5 color. Changed spoons thoughout the morning. Fished till noonish. Fished ne side from Christian camp to ne Park area most of the morning. Fished a 3 color and 5 color with riggers once the boy joined me. Went 3 for 3 which I was happy about eventhough that's probably slow for alot of you. 9 lb laker just missed the board, a 3-4 lb laker and the boy caught a rainbow that was just barely legal. Big laker came on spin dr w/ fly was a challenge solo, smaller laker came on a rr electric muffin, and bow came on a dreamweaver ss confusion with 3 color. Hoping to improve just like you're saying adesalvo. Life is good!

20220605_100915.jpg

love seeing kids fishing! Kudos to getting them out while they are young!