LT catch & release

I was wondering if there are survival statistics re: survival probability of lake trout released at the boat when caught in 100’ of water or deeper. 

I generally release most that I catch but I have been fishing shallower water but now that I’m after deeper water fish I wonder if there is something that I can do to improve the chances for survival of the fish that I release. 

Edited by Dave1515
None

The best chance of survival for a released lake trout seems to be a hookset in non-vitals (which you cant really control when trolling), reeling in slowly to account for barotrauma, and larger sizes seem to survive better. Other than that, mortality has been measured between ~14-40% post-release and it doesn't seem like surface or deep-water releases matter. Lake trout can burp their swim bladder so as long as they are reeled in slowly they will be able to compensate their buoyancy and swim down when released. You can also burp the fish (gently squeeze the center of the fish) to release air from the swim bladder if you pulled the fish up too quickly and that will let the lake trout swim down faster and get back to colder water and avoid getting pecked at by birds. Anecdotally, we catch adult lake trout with gill nets and rod and reel, put acoustic tags in the fish, and release them and have 100% survival years later. Some of our tagged fish are going 8 years now of providing data and are still alive after being caught and surgery performed to insert tags. 

I attached PDFs from two studies on post-release mortality. One is for angling and one is for gillnets set for research purposes.

Here is a section on depth from the Loftus and Taylor paper (25' to 160' depths)

image.png.203ef436ec85d51622c3618d727c0a1c.png

Loftus and Taylor, 1988.pdf Ng et al., 2015.pdf

• Like 1

Thorough and knowledgeable response great_laker and good information.  No worries then concerning fishing in deeper waters.  

I’ve seen stream caught brown trout struggle to recover when released during summer months so much that I don’t fish for them until the water gets cold again.  But that’s more a fatigue related problem I think. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The Sequalizer is about $85 bucks. 

The Shelton fish Descender is about $13, plus adding your own weight.

I made my own from a 16oz. weight and a coat hanger... works just like the Shelton product. Push the wire through the lower lip, drop the fish down to the desired depth and snap the rig up to release the fish.

The Shelton Descender.... a bit small for large lake trout in my opinion.

page5.thumb.jpg.dc106db6273aa397b8f216ae0fc8c309.jpg

The Shelton Descender, and my homemade version

SFDboatrod.jpg.9eaf18230d31a6b76025552782e2601a.jpg   223855994_IMG_1236(2).thumb.JPG.15a1adfbe3c9e6f81cbe89f3e8454f4d.JPG

Edited by J.D.

The new Gambler Rigs  "Laker Recovery Clip".....  Has a nice ring to it.....match it up with a 3 foot long heavy ice fishing rod and a reel spooled with braid line...  Ding Ding Ding.... we have a winner !!

( ask me how I know this works..)

Edited by J.D.

8 minutes ago, J.D. said:

The new Gambler Rigs  "Laker Recovery Clip".....  Has a nice ring to it.....match it up with a 3 foot long heavy ice fishing rod and a reel spooled with braid line...  Ding Ding Ding.... we have a winner !!

( ask me how I know this works..)

Just the rig alone would be a big seller!  I also have access to a big sinker mold and a ton of lead.  

• Like 1