Kicker motor steering

hard knox

Looking for opinion on Panther t5 remote steering for kicker motor . Setting up a new pursuit 2865 with Volvo Penta outdrive and 9.9 Yamaha outboard and cannot link together do to offset. Does anyone use a t5 electro steer and do you like it or is steering with a remote a pain in the ass .

On 6/7/2022 at 5:19 PM, hard knox said:

Looking for opinion on Panther t5 remote steering for kicker motor . Setting up a new pursuit 2865 with Volvo Penta outdrive and 9.9 Yamaha outboard and cannot link together do to offset. Does anyone use a t5 electro steer and do you like it or is steering with a remote a pain in the ass .

You should look into a dedicated kicker auto-pilot unit like the Garmin Reactor 40. I have the older TR-1 Gold version on my kicker and it was a game changer for me. If you could see the movements the AP unit has to do to hold course in any kind of chop you wouldn't even consider a remote steering unit imo.

Thanks for the input guys ran the boat and tracked pretty well with kicker locked straight ahead . I figure in the wind and chop my be a little harder to control so decided   to order a Talfin electro steer from powtran and use a wireless remote in conjunction with the helm .

On 6/9/2022 at 3:22 PM, FishingFool34 said:

You should look into a dedicated kicker auto-pilot unit like the Garmin Reactor 40. I have the older TR-1 Gold version on my kicker and it was a game changer for me. If you could see the movements the AP unit has to do to hold course in any kind of chop you wouldn't even consider a remote steering unit imo.

Does the Garmin Reactor 40 have throttle control built in?  I see it comes with a throttle actuator.  

On 6/9/2022 at 3:22 PM, FishingFool34 said:

Yes that is for sure i just put in a new Ray marine hookd up to the tr1 system 

it is great 

On 6/11/2022 at 10:29 AM, GAMBLER said:

Does the Garmin Reactor 40 have throttle control built in?  I see it comes with a throttle actuator.  

I have the older TR1 Gold system so I can't comment on the new Reactor system. The throttle control was available for the TR1 but it was optional and I already had the remote throttle setup on my kicker so I chose not to get the one from Garmin. I have read that the ones from aftermarket companies like iTroll, Trollmaster and Controllking were better options than what was offered by Garmin, for the TR1 system atleast.