You should be fine most days.   Keep an eye on forecast, maybe stay nearer to shore in the flats if it gets too rough for ya.   Lots of boats that size out at the dropoff on good weather days.  Even some on 2ft'er days.   I can't say i recall many in the 16 ft range out there when the forecast calls for 2-3 ft waves though.

Worst case, bring some walleye lures and fish the river! 

Originally started on Lake O with a 15ft. Captain back then gave me some great advice which I still follow today. Launch out of Wilson and always refer to marine forecast, especially WIND Direction. Launch and head in the direction the wind will be coming from. That way your always heading to port in the event you need to get off the lake. Have always done well fishing within 5 miles of Wilson in either direction. Distance will always depend on forecast and wave height. Good luck, good fishing.

• Like 1

I haven’t fished the bar or river mouth but was in Wilson May 18-21 this year. Never made it to the bar as we fished east or west of Wilson for the most part 100-250fow It was my first extended trip to the area. To me the lake was 3 different lakes each day. Morning, midday and evening. Got blown off the lake late morning on 2 of 4 days but the evenings we fished again as it laid down. I paid for a slip for the weekend which made going back out in the evenings easy.  

i have a 19’ 4 winns   Of those 4 days I would say you would not have fished 1.5 but it is all weather dependent. The river recommendations are a great idea that I am going to remember

I was glad I did a few days in a row to have those windows when the lake cooperated.  I am goin back next May just earlier in 2023

best of luck!

We fished Henderson Bay May 14-21 all with 16’ deep Vs (Sea Nymph, Tracker Laker Guide V-16 DLX, and a new Lund Deep V16).  Weather sucked and we got blown off the lake almost every day.  Definitely review marine forecast as we did to ensure you have a good sense of what to expect and when to head for the dock.  If you don’t have a marine radio use your mobile phone to get both forecasts and updates while on the water.  Also many good weather apps have a radar map which is especially good at giving direction/storm paths as well as lightning strike data.  Wind and wave increase will generally be ahead of the actual rai/lighting.

PoJ

thanks for the reply's was out last year to 1/2 the week blown off the lake this year same **** fished 3 days headed home 3 days early do to forecast and had it get pretty snotty latter in the day   fished mexico bay

Edited by BAYONNE59

The east end of the lake is typically more volatile than the west due to the prevailing west wind.

To save a trip to the east end, consider getting out of the wind in the golden crescent area, Henderson Harbor-Chaumont Bay. You can almost always find some fishable waters somewhere in that area. Enjoy the outstanding spring pike fishing in some of the back bays. It is actually more fun than trolling up browns. Rapala J-11's in Black/Silver and Fire Tiger is all you need.

My two cents.

even on nice days right at the mouth of the river there is a pretty good chop, so don't let that fool you as the lake may be just fine once you pass through