Otter dual keels

I read some past posts from years back about ordering a second half weight keel. I'm interested in doing this, or making some. Question is, do the keels need to be parallel. I'm assuming yes,  since opposing keel angles would be pointless. On my boats the 2 sets of mounting holes are not parallel. So, when ordering the second keel will the mounting holes be drilled to offset the second keel to keep them parallel? 

44 minutes ago, dhhurlburt said:

I read some past posts from years back about ordering a second half weight keel. I'm interested in doing this, or making some. Question is, do the keels need to be parallel. I'm assuming yes,  since opposing keel angles would be pointless. On my boats the 2 sets of mounting holes are not parallel. So, when ordering the second keel will the mounting holes be drilled to offset the second keel to keep them parallel? 

yes. the two keels will be parallel to each other.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

A year or two ago I could not order any so I had a local guide make them, one thing I can say make sure you're main line for your otter board is good if the line breaks off the otter 

board I know mine will sink, but it made a huge difference 

I read where some guys had keels made from thin sheet steel or aluminum.  The ones I had made are stainless and heavy as hell without a weight. I'm wondering if that will make the boats sink and if I should remove the weight from the factory keel. We shall see...tonight I'll take them out and give them a whirl. 

On 6/21/2022 at 8:17 AM, UNREEL said:

I took the weight off my 2nd keel. I wasn’t comfortable with them sinking if the tow line broke. They run just fine 

They sunk like a rock in the pool, so I took the weight off the original keel. They are a little saggy in the ass, but float pretty well. Well see how they work Saturday