Quick solo trip looking for Browns. Lines in at 6 and out at 8. Landed 6 all 4 to 6 lbs. 35 to 45 feet of water. Riggers at 20 and 30. Slide Diver with 100 foot lead and 80 feet back. All took fish, running mag spoons. 64 surface, 60 down 30. 

D0964E6B-041D-48DD-92EF-DE5BCD7B7021.jpeg

• Like 10

Dumb question from a guy the typically tries to catch salmon but seems to fail lately.  

what is the general pattern for browns during June- july?
shallower water 60ish degrees slower troll?  

TIA

Edited by tenatureboy

All of the above. Usually where 60 ish water meets bottom enhanced by pearl essence water and the presence of bait. 
Assuming the last two they will hit in warmer water and higher speed some days. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tenatureboy said:

Dumb question from a guy the typically tries to catch salmon but seems to fail lately.  

what is the general pattern for browns during June- july?
shallower water 60ish degrees slower troll?  

TIA

Yes.  Most guys say smaller spoons but don't be afraid to run spoons up to mag sized.  The 19lb 4oz, and 16lb 11oz. browns we caught in the last couple years both came on mag spoons off divers.  We run riggers cheated, 4 divers and usually 3-4 leadcores depending on the depth we are targeting.  As you get later in the season, big browns will be caught up high out of temp.  If you are not running cheaters, you will miss a lot of big browns!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Yes.  Most guys say smaller spoons but don't be afraid to run spoons up to mag sized.  The 19lb 4oz, and 16lb 11oz. browns we caught in the last couple years both came on mag spoons off divers.  We run riggers cheated, 4 divers and usually 3-4 leadcores depending on the depth we are targeting.  As you get later in the season, big browns will be caught up high out of temp.  If you are not running cheaters, you will miss a lot of big browns!

Free sliding cheaters or fixed?

• Like 1

On 6/15/2022 at 5:25 PM, whaler1 said:

Quick solo trip looking for Browns. Lines in at 6 and out at 8. Landed 6 all 4 to 6 lbs. 35 to 45 feet of water. Riggers at 20 and 30. Slide Diver with 100 foot lead and 80 feet back. All took fish, running mag spoons. 64 surface, 60 down 30. 

D0964E6B-041D-48DD-92EF-DE5BCD7B7021.jpeg

Sounds like a great quick trip!!  I'm just starting to tinker with slide divers.  When you say 100 foot lead is that from spoon to diver?  I ran a slide last week on Cayuga set 60 feet from lure to diver in 50 fow. but then started wondering about how much play was there with such a long leader.  It attracted at least one laker which was not exactly what I was hoping for but a fish is a fish.... Are you using flouro leader or mono and what lb test?  Thanks!

11 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Maybe if you have a four man team and some luck/skill. 
I prefer simple sets. Two down, free sliders if I’m not running more than 15 feet behind the ball. Two slide divers. 
My best Browns have been on mag spoons more often than not. 

Edited by whaler1
  • Like 1