Fleas on Cayuga 2022

Just put on my 100ft of sea flea on my rigger rods.  
I put at least 150' of flea line on over my normal mono. Two things. The fish are generally going to be hanging down 90' to 120'. You'll want to add a few extra feet for the blow back on both the rigger balls and the flea line at those depths.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Seaflee isn't a total answer but I have had it on all my downrigger rods for about 8 years replacing the mono with 300 yards of it and leadering off it with lighter fluoro and it helps quite a bit. The spiny fleas come off pretty easily but the fishhook type adhere to anything and are tougher to get off much like cottonwood.

• 1 month later...

Fleas are bad right now.....no issues w/ Copper lines but had to respool all my downrigger and diver lines to 50 lb mono to keep them off. Fish are biting so I guess you take what you can get :-) 

7 hours ago, SWATMedic said:

Fleas are bad right now.....no issues w/ Copper lines but had to respool all my downrigger and diver lines to 50 lb mono to keep them off. Fish are biting so I guess you take what you can get :-) 

Anyone know if weighted steel will avoid the fleas like copper does?

I use the Torpedo Weighted Steel line with 19 stranded wire backing.  I have three lengths that I use for silver fishing mostly. Lengths of 50, 100, and 200 feet.  Basically that covers 10, 20, and 40 feet down.  I can get some adjustments to those numbers with additional snap weights.  It has a different movement compared to lead core and can work very well with flutter spoons.  Best thing to do is get your setups and use a TD Fishawk and make your own dive charts. Hope this helps.

• Like 1