Cannon Mag 10s have been a world of trouble

Garyf

We have Cannon Mag 10 STXs giving us a world of trouble since day one.

2 probes and 2 sharks gone the first week of using them. Good bye $1000.

We have snubbers which helps, but I hold my breath every time bringing them up and down. And I fish each day with a pit in my stomach hoping there won't be another catastrophe. Maximizing fishing time with my old man is priority #1, losing fishing time because of shoddy gear makes me incensed.

Another thing that went wrong is that one of the riggers would deploy down but one day stopped retrieving. Opened up the housing and replaced the board connection that could've gotten wet and damaged. Seems to have worked but time will tell.

Another problem is that it looks like the cable has worn against the housing creating little saw tooth gashes in the plastic. Looks to me like they're just waiting to fray, catch, and break the cable. Holding my breath yet again.

Yet another problem is that it seems the deploying and retrieving speed is just too fast, and the cable does not wrap tightly and evenly on its spool. If that cable slips and breaks, goodbye probe #3.

I'm about ready to just throw in the towel and get another brand of riggers. Peace of mind would be worth it alone.

Any tips or advice? Any other rigger brands out there more reliable?

34 minutes ago, Garyf said:

We have Cannon Mag 10 STXs giving us a world of trouble since day one.

2 probes and 2 sharks gone the first week of using them. Good bye $1000.

We have snubbers which helps, but I hold my breath every time bringing them up and down. And I fish each day with a pit in my stomach hoping there won't be another catastrophe. Maximizing fishing time with my old man is priority #1, losing fishing time because of shoddy gear makes me incensed.

Another thing that went wrong is that one of the riggers would deploy down but one day stopped retrieving. Opened up the housing and replaced the board connection that could've gotten wet and damaged. Seems to have worked but time will tell.

Another problem is that it looks like the cable has worn against the housing creating little saw tooth gashes in the plastic. Looks to me like they're just waiting to fray, catch, and break the cable. Holding my breath yet again.

Yet another problem is that it seems the deploying and retrieving speed is just too fast, and the cable does not wrap tightly and evenly on its spool. If that cable slips and breaks, goodbye probe #3.

I'm about ready to just throw in the towel and get another brand of riggers. Peace of mind would be worth it alone.

Any tips or advice? Any other rigger brands out there more reliable?

I have run STX riggers for years and only had one board go.  I have only snapped the cable once and that was due to a fray in the cable.  Run snubbers, check the cable often for frays and cover the riggers when not in use.  If you do not have rod holders on both sides of the riggers, water can get in the rigger through the bolt hole in the side of the rigger.  

• Like 1

Like said, everyone has their preferences. I love my magnum metals. Simple up and down and clutch is outstanding. I’ve never lost gear yet but I also run braid instead of cable. I’ve hung up in trees a lot on my local lake and the clutch let’s out line like the drag on a reel so you can go retrieve your gear. I was initially concerned about parts being a smaller company but parts are hard to come by these days no matter what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have 3 Magnum Metalz on one boat , easy , reliable , small footprint, quality work , folding boom.is nice ( same as traxstech) and decently priced with holders attached. Big boat has the Traxstech and the slow start , slow stop feature takes all the anxiety away with losing gear from sudden stop go action . They are also at the top of the food chain as far as price goes. No issues with those 3 as well.

I owned a mag 10 for exactly one deployment. Came off the lake and sold it. Way to fast for me, thought the gunnels were going to come apart. The digitrol 5 is a good rigger if you can find one, Good luck!!!

I have lost one 14 lb weight with an STX.  I an very careful on the probe side.  They always wrap the cable more on one side of the pulley at the rear.  I always give the cable a "levelwind" bump to the other side of the pulley every few winds.  Just letting it retrieve by itself causes the cable to pile up on one side which will eventually "fall over" and cause a loose section.  On the next decent of the weight the loose section makes the already violent speed even worse. It's a shame that must be done but it is necessary.  The pivoting pulley at the end of the boom causes this as it is always pulled towards the transom making the cable wrap towards one side.

• 8 months later...

So I was searching for threads because I am looking to replace our deep rigger   Have Cannons for the others but wanted to run 20# ball on this one as we usually run the probe off it    We are worried with breaking them off being so fast   I was hoping Cannon had a new slower option but in reading this it appears same issue.  Does anyone run 20# weights off of the canon mag 10s?  Anyone doing it successfully? Thanks in advance

Sure glad I have held on to my Mag 10A's all these years.... slow yes but in my world that is good. I value stability over speed and I don't need the heavier weights the way I run riggers anyway. My theory is if something works stay with it. Something to be said for "old school" I guess :lol:

To pull a 20lb weight and a probe with current Cannon rigger models probably an Optimum would be the best choice due to programmable retrieve speeds on that model.  An issue when one discusses Cannon “Mag 10’s” is that model designation has been used for years in multiple different products with different specs by different owners of that company.  Mag 10’s have been out in one form or another for 40+ years so knowing the specific model is very helpful.  Early ones had a 10lb rating and current high speed ones are at 20lb.