Cayuga Deans cove 6/24

Went south of deans and got a few lakers, few rainbows. Fleas were bad, ran downriggers at 30-60 and hooked 3 bows, fleas kept us from reeling them in.  Hand lined one in, the biggest, others were small and fell off once lines jammed up b/c fleas. Not much of a thermocline…. 60deg F top, 57-58degF 50-70 feet down. Got a decent laker on church 44 planer 10 color lead line, first time running them, dragged him for a while I’d guess.  If anyone can share insight into these in line planer boards I’d greatly appreciate it, seems like line clip is backwards to me, but….  Lots of sun, landed fish, wasn’t at work!

B728F155-6AA6-4FA0-A542-2FFFFFC835D1.jpeg

0B9CBAD2-0F42-4357-B5E8-4014A24F31E4.jpeg

• Like 4

Looks like you found some good fishing!  Past couple years the fleas have been bad on Cayuga for about a month from mid June to mid July, then they tail off some.  Even with preventative line it seems like you need to check lines out every 20-25 minutes as definitely no fun having a nice fish on and you can't enjoy reeling it in.  

The church 44s are way to big for that lake IMHO.  I go with the opti boards for the inside and OR 12s for the outside. For me the key is setting the drag to the minimum required to not let out line so I can hear the reel when there is a hit! 

both sets of boards have been able to pull up to 10 colors and 200 copper