what depths are the larger bass hanging out on the fingerlakes at this time of year?

dremarquis

• 2 weeks later...

I  suppose  it depends on if you are looking for smallmouths or largemouths... I read something years ago, and it has always held true..

"There are ALWAYS some bass in shallow water"... I agree 100%

However, on the Finger Lakes the opposite is true.. there are also always some bass that will follow the schools of bait that is readily available to them in some of the Finger Lakes... So in some of the big giant lakes full of  alewives, you might see bass in 50 FOW.. I have caught them there... However, they are also lurking under docks  in the bright noonday sun in mid August.. Caught them there too.. Big ones...

Me  personally, if I were to be given a fortune for going out  to catch some big bass, and HAD to  catch fish, I would go to the  Northern 1/3 of Cayuga, and toss the biggest live baitfish I could find under and around the hundreds and hundreds of docks... There are always big bass there this time of year, and often won't touch a lure especially mid day... Toss a big live shiner though, and they can't resist... Been there done that... bob

• 5 weeks later...

Rule of thumb is that if you're catching rock bass, the smallmouth will be 15' deeper. On Hemlock in the summer, I can usually find a few on the secondary drop that goes from ~30' to 50', but I bet there's a bunch of fish deeper than that. I've caught them drifting crayfish on L. George in 70' near the bottom in August.

I fish Hemlock almost exclusively. Any help will be much appreciated
andre
In post spawn bass will hang near shallows for awhile. But as water temps increase they will move deeper. When it gets hot, like now, you'll find largies shallow, but in few numbers and typically smaller. The numbers and size will be deeper off shore weed lines or points. 10'-20' typically is a good depth range. The deeper you go, it becomes a matter of finding structure or a school of bait fish. Bass relate to structure and cover, the deeper the more isolated structure typically. So you'd need a good finder, and be able to graph areas your not familiar with. If you can't, stick with deep weed edges 10-20'. They might be tucked in them out in front suspended, or even in holes of the weeds. So be prepared for flipping, finesse, or retrieve baits

Sent from my SM-T720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with much of what you wrote, but as I said, there are always Bass in shallow water  say  I dunno, maybe 4 to 8 feet  not far from shore.. IF, there is shade, cover, and food.. In cayuga the years when I fish in the depth of summer, I catch BIG LMB  mid day, under and close to docks with live bait.. Not small bass at all..  big healthy ones.. They won't touch a lure, at least not for me, but live bait or even a big nightcrawler always gets them.. go 5 feet away from the dock and forget it.. Nothing there.. They are under the docks, or around holes in weed beds in the shade say under a large  tree near the bank...  Shade is very important mid summer... They will dart out from the shade  a few feet to grab something, but thats where they sit,, Right under the structure providing the shade and cover... bob

• Like 1

I agree with much of what you wrote, but as I said, there are always Bass in shallow water  say  I dunno, maybe 4 to 8 feet  not far from shore.. IF, there is shade, cover, and food.. In cayuga the years when I fish in the depth of summer, I catch BIG LMB  mid day, under and close to docks with live bait.. Not small bass at all..  big healthy ones.. They won't touch a lure, at least not for me, but live bait or even a big nightcrawler always gets them.. go 5 feet away from the dock and forget it.. Nothing there.. They are under the docks, or around holes in weed beds in the shade say under a large  tree near the bank...  Shade is very important mid summer... They will dart out from the shade  a few feet to grab something, but thats where they sit,, Right under the structure providing the shade and cover... bob
Hemlock lake is a highland reservoir, state forest, completely undeveloped. It fishes entirely different than Cayuga, which has lots of grass, docks, structure. Hemlock has points, pockets, lots of rock and smaller weed beds. There are flats too, but small. Typically the points and pockets have deep ledges in front of them. When the post spawn is over, from mid July on most decent sized bass move deep chasing bait, where Temps are much cooler. Alewife and smelt numbers are high, they typically live in deeper. These photos appear shallow water, but most of the time I'm in 12 -20 fow water.IMG_20220625_072307.thumb.jpg.f29d9f11481748bba3aa4b5f16e7a1a5.jpgreceived_566962658366339.thumb.jpg.f8b589a11bf566dfdc04b47f2d8645ad.jpgreceived_1389266324855408.thumb.jpg.c33d3c51a59d1d50544b78e22f7f95b3.jpgreceived_963253934339399.thumb.jpg.df1f991f2dea88bbf9add030d281ab42.jpgreceived_954367465324825.thumb.jpg.cf750b3d18a5ead731f2e80c61207064.jpg

Sent from my SM-T720 using Lake Ontario United mobile app