St. Lawrence and Kings

I’ve caught them in Cape Vincent trolling eyes  in August. I presume these are just lost fish. However, I remember a guy saying that it was a repeatable occurrence every fall that a pod of fish would show up in the cape area every fall near the Canadian ferry port for a short timeframe, but that is very likely to be a huge crock of fairy tales. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, McWally said:

I’ve caught them in Cape Vincent trolling eyes  in August. I presume these are just lost fish. However, I remember a guy saying that it was a repeatable occurrence every fall that a pod of fish would show up in the cape area every fall near the Canadian ferry port for a short timeframe, but that is very likely to be a huge crock of fairy tales. 

I grew up in Cape and during the fall you would see some trying to run up kents creek every now and then if the water level was high enough. Again, not all the common but was still cool to see a few. 

• Like 1

Friend of mine has a place on Can. side of Grindstone in Thurso Bay. He knows of someone that caught a king over there. One. I’ve always wondered why they don’t go further, or are more common down the river. I surmised it was due to almost all of our kings being stockers these days. With that said, they likely go back to, or near where they were released for their spawning rituals. The Salmon, the Black, Stony, Mill Creek, etc. 

Probably a true account of occasional kings in the river. We get steelhead, browns and lake trout that slide down from Lake Erie into the upper Niagara every winter thru March