Your Fishhawk is the most important tool on your boat!

Fished out of Mexico today,  had 44 degree water 140 feet down.  Was going 1.7 mph on the surface,  and at 140 feet down, 3.1 mph.  Almost couldn't slow down enough. They were liking 2.8mph today.  Without the fishhawk,  never would have known that.  That was in 220 feet of water.  And it paid off! 

20220626_162816.jpg

IMG_20220626_150545.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pair of Jacks said:

Is the speed differential due to current in the lake and is this typical?  

thanks in advance for your feedback.

Pair of Jack

It depends on where you are in the lake and which direction you’re trolling. There are typically currents but they maybe not be as severe or more severe. On the west end by the Niagara river I’ve encountered currents that effect the speed by up to 3MPH. It can vary by depth of lure as well, no current 50 feet down, 2 MPH 80 feet down. 

Thanks…I suspected as much around the West end especially at the mouths of the rivers as well as where LO dumps into the SLSW.  Since I don’t fish LO or the Finger Lakes regularly enough I only invested in a Fish Hawk TD so I do not have a good sense of speed at the ball.  

It's definitely worth the investment. Knowing the temperature and speed of your presentation can be the difference between having a good/great day on the lake, or spending a lot of money driving up to the lake ( I'm 2.5 hours away) not to catch anything.  And yes, we all have those days where no matter what equipment we have the fish won't bite. But knowing temp and speed and that your baits are in the right spot, put the odds in your favor.  I fish more looking at my Fishhawk than looking at my fishfinder 

Winds affect the current more than anything else.  Very noticeable after a day of strong winds, especially when the lake flips.

And yes, the FH is most important for temp and then speed for me.  My two graphs are only used to plot course and look at depth.  But later in the year, the graphs become more important as the fish don't care so much about water temp.

Edited by fcboats