Need details on how people have hooked up their Smart Troll probes

chowder

I need to know how people have hooked up their smart Troll probes to both rigger releases or lines etc. And how people have hooked up the probes on Diver lines. Help much appreciated. Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have the first generation Smart Troll and it works with intermittent success. It is now obsolete and I'm looking for any info on how the Smart Troll II is working. My unit leaves a lot to be desired.  As far as how I hooked the probes to a downrigger I clip it on the main cable just above the ball clincher. I've run them on dipsey's and leadcore also. On the dip I clip it through the eye of the swivel from the wire and the leadcore I have a small inline swivel on the fluorocarbon  leader about 10' down from the leadcore and about another 20' of leader to the lure. I hook the probe through the eye of the fluro leader.

Thanks, that was the way I was thinking of going. In retrospect I am not sure I should have gotten this technology but I was in the process of setting both of my boats up to have use rear controls, the PanOptix tech, etc so I figured I would build the SmartTroll wiring into the setups from the start. I will attempt to relay my observations on the Gen II setup as soon as I get a handle on things 

13 hours ago, stinger said:

I have the first generation Smart Troll and it works with intermittent success. It is now obsolete and I'm looking for any info on how the Smart Troll II is working. My unit leaves a lot to be desired.  As far as how I hooked the probes to a downrigger I clip it on the main cable just above the ball clincher. I've run them on dipsey's and leadcore also. On the dip I clip it through the eye of the swivel from the wire and the leadcore I have a small inline swivel on the fluorocarbon  leader about 10' down from the leadcore and about another 20' of leader to the lure. I hook the probe through the eye of the fluro leader.

I'll second the first gen being "intermittent success".   I switched boats and it wasn't working and realized my kicker motor plume was messing it up so I moved the transducer and haven't tried it again yet.  I may this weekend.  The app has always been a pain, had to reload a bunch of times to get it to work....not somethign I want to do on the boat when I'd rather be paying attention to so much more, especially if its a little bumpy.  Hoping it just works this next time.   I use it on slide divers with an OR-16 clip on the line ahead of the slide diver.  Its a bit of a pain to unclip at times if I'm running solo

I used the gen 1 on both rigger and diver lines ... I had no issue on the riggers ... divers sometimes got out of range ... not sure if it was just the angle and not seeing the transducer, or electrical interference which degraded the signal.

They must have come a long, long way though, several years have passed since gen 1 ... and there's been a lot of use, so I'm assuming they would have made a few upgrades.

Another gen 1 user with mixed results, some probes work well and some don't work at all.  It would be nice if they would offer an upgrade program for us original users.

On regular divers I just attach the probe to the end of my wire and then hook the diver to the probe.  I've also attached the probe to the tail end of the diver then attached the leader to the probe.  You will be surprised to see how much the divers move up and down depending on the currents.

I use wire for my slide divers with about 30-40' of 40lb big game for the diver to slide on.  I hook the probe in line between the 40lb big game and a 6' flouro. leader.  I do the same thing for my coppers with the probe between the mono leader and a 6' flouro. leader.  Usually I use 20lb test for the flouro for spoons and 30lb for flashers.  I've thought of putting some tape on the probe so it would act as an attractor but haven't tried it yet.

Might want to think twice about making the probe an attractor. I have had salmon hit even large dodgers in the past.

I use 2 Off Shore Tackle OR16 Pro Snap Weight Clip. The probe has 2 eyes one front and one rear of probe. Attach one OR16 to the front eye and one to the rear via the split ring. The OR 16 has a pin in it...set line in back of pin...you cant lose probe if line breaks. I attach/clip about 18" above my Dipsey Diver. Works great never had an issue.

• 5 months later...

This is Darrell at Smart Troll.

We have made many improvements with Smart Troll II

For 2023 I have decided to give anyone with Smart Troll Gen I a 50% trade in discount to upgrade to Smart Troll Gen II.

IM, call or email to discuss details.

Please let me know if you have any questions.