Will these flies work

I'd like to get some honest feedback on the attached picture of some trolling flies i just tied up while the wind is blowing down here. I used to fish for salmon and steelhead every weekend. Then about 10 yrs ago i got hooked on fishing in the Fla Keys. I have now found myself in a position where i can fish in florida in the winter and spend the summer on the finger lakes. I plan to get back into the salmon/steelhead thing on the Big O and I realize that I have a lot to catch up on. Lurking on this site has definetely pointed out that a lot has changed since i started chasing the saltwater guys. Anyway would like your honest opinions if the salmon will eat these flies and any suggestions for improvements or color combo's would be appreciated. You guys post a ton of great info on here and I am grateful to be able to soak it all up.

aVuMCZr.jpg

Bugged out eyes are always a good attractor too!. Should work behind a spin doctor or protroll flasher. Try different Flouro leader lengths to get the right action. start with 18 to 20 inches and watch the action beside the boat at 2.6 to 3.0 mph. shorter for quicker.... longer for more sweep ;)

Mark

I would give them a try as well. Good advice here from skipper and jeb; I would add that last season our flies hit alot more often than spoons did. Our hottest set-up was a green dipsy with an 8 foot leader to a green spin doc with a green, blue/green fly. We ran 30 mono, the dipsy at a 1 setting, and average feet of line out was 135-150. Also try a 42 combo. 42 second spin doctor with a 42 second fly.

Yo Bird,

Send them to me and I'll let you know!!! :)

Look good to me-do any of them glow? gotta have some glow once the fish are deeper than 50'.

I always wondered what people did in FL when the wind blows!!

CC

• 2 weeks later...

What did you use to for the line to go thru? I have tied some of my own using a coffe straw but I know there has got to be a little piece of plastic to substitute. How do you hold yours in the vise when tying them?

Thanks for all of the feedback. I am going to give them a try and see how they work. Its fun to come up with different color combinations and they only cost a few cents to make.

S*K - I am using plastic heads that i bought years ago. they are predrilled for the line to go thru. I used to make coho flies years ago using little plastic tubes. You can buy those tubes pretty cheap from stanley stinger. What i do is put a small diamater finishing nail thru the head and attach the nail in my vise. I use double sided stick tape on the head to attach the end of the banded tinsel to the head. I then just spin the head in one hand and feed the banded tinsel with the other hand. At the end I whip it with thread and give it a good coating of Zap a Gap instant glue. I fold back the tinsel and its done. Whole thing takes a minute or too. Hope that helps.