Was wondering just got a more sub troll used it yesterday could the current be that strong that I'm getting a reading of 2 miles an hour on the sub troll doing 3.7 on my GPS just curious if I should trust that sub Troll And also do you leave the battery in for the season or do you take it out every time you use it

Sent from my SM-N975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Drop your probe down a foot or so and see how the speed compares to your GPS.  You can see if they are close but most likely it will be different at deeper depths. Also there is a guy in  Buffalo  that can calibrate your probe.  Believe his business is big blue enterprises

Your SOG and speed thru the water are 2 completely different things 

You could be trolling into a heavy current at 2 mph on your down speed indicator and actually going backwards SOG . 

1.7 isn't really that big a difference . 

Currents can go absolutely bonkers out there.  I've seen 4 1/2 mph.  The important thing is to duplicate the down speed at which you catch a fish.  Unless I lose the signal, I leave the battery in all season.

I recall my Moor instructions saying you can leave the battery in as long as the probe is dry. It has an auto on switch when in the water. A cheap DC voltmeter on board can save a lot of trouble if the probe stops working

1 hour ago, Tacklebox said:

Go into a bay or small lake on a calm day. You just can’t tell on the big lake. 

And make sure to drop the probe deep enough to insure it's not affected by the turbulence of your boat.

SOG is worthless information as far as trolling goes IMO . 

If you had a surface speed paddle on your depth finder , SOG, surface speed , and down speed would all be different . 

And the only one that matters is down speed . 

I know newer Lowrance units have speed thru water (STW) as well as speed over ground ( SOG.)  And they are always different.  I always use stw when comparing probe speed.  Not sure if all brands have this, but might be worth looking at.

I thought there was an adjustment potentiometer on the backside of the head. I could be wrong though. Either way, find the speed on the sub troll you are catching fish at and reproduce that as a base to start from each time out. The specific reading doesn't so much matter as the ability to consistently reproduce your most productive speed(s).

Make sure you're using a heavier weight than you would normally use.  The probe needs to be horizontal for good readings.  If you have too much blowback in your cable, the probe tilts & the readings will be way out of whack.  Depth you're running at and tightness of the wraping on the top connection can affect how it tracks.  At 3.7 SOG, and 50 ft down with no current, I'd think you have a heck of an angle in your cable.

Also if you're trolling with the down current, it's very possible down speed will be less than SOG. 

Be aware that there are times of the year when there are ranges of thermal instability on Lake O.  i.e. At a constant 50 ft down, you may find stable temps from 80-150 FOW then great instability from 150-180 FOW then really cold water from 180 FOW & out.  This happens when there are drastic 180 degree wind shifts.  I.e. East wind followed by a decent west wind - the warm nearshore water is mixing with the colder offshore water.

STW is the boat speed relative to the water. It is picked up by a paddle wheel sensor.  SOG is the speed of the vessel relative to the earths surface. Unless it is dead calm with no current the 2 will rarely read the same.  It's possible for the SOG to read 5 mph and STW to read 0 if the boat is in a 5 mph current.  My Moor probe set at about 18"  reads very similar to my STW, until you drop it to fishing depth and then it could remain the same or change depending  on current at depth.  Hope this helps.

fs -  If there's no current, on a turn, the speed will increase if the probe is mounted on the outward side of the turn.  It will decrease if it's on the downrigger that is on the inward side of the turn.  If you travel into a current, downspeed will increase.  If you travel with current, downspeed will decrease. 

Voodoo has a good point.  Current at say 20 ft down can be different than current at 50 ft down.  (speed & direction)

Why would anyone concern themselves with surface speed or SOG other than to see how much  current difference there is top to ball  ? Anything other than down speed is irrelevant . 

If you have no down speed indicator than surface speed and direction of troll on the hit becomes your gauge . 

Some of you guys make this way more complicated than it needs to be . 

45 minutes ago, HB2 said:

Why would anyone concern themselves with surface speed or SOG other than to see how much  current difference there is top to ball  ? Anything other than down speed is irrelevant . 

If you have no down speed indicator than surface speed and direction of troll on the hit becomes your gauge . 

Some of you guys make this way more complicated than it needs to be . 

Because at times some folks are running surface lures.  Other times there are no underwater currents on the body of water you are fishing and SOG rules.

• Like 1

so what good does the probe do me for speed when to get to 2.1mph down 80' and i have to do a surface speed of 4.7mph to get there(2.1mph) when surface speed is so much higher the cables angle back causing an in accurate read?and im using 15lb weights.