Currents question

Just got back from my first trip. I’ve never fished currents like what I saw. I expected to find a steady current in any given direction that I could troll into for awhile. I found the exact opposite. It felt like the current was more like gyre. Most times I was doing circles. We caught fish but it seemed that we would only catch them on a southerly troll (SE-SW) I couldn’t keep that for very long some days however if I wanted to keep my rods square and I wasn’t catching fish if my rods weren’t square. Is what I saw a typical day out there or are the currents on the bad side of things right now?

Also I should mention that when I could keep a track for a decent amount of distance and tried to turn around to head 180 degrees opposite I couldn’t keep it straight for long. My lines would drift out if sqaure and I’d end up making a circle until I got back to my original heading. That made me scratch my head. 

Edited by MGK

June is known as "transition month" on Big O.  It's running a little late this year.  There's generally an easterly current along the south shore, however the winds can greatly affect the currents, especially in less than 150 FOW.  Any winds out of the east can really raise havoc out there with currents and temperatures.  

• Like 1

You also need to take wind into consideration.  A cross wind will make the boat "slide".  It will gives the appearance of a heavy down current when in fact the boat is being pushed sideways.

• Like 1

The other day out of Sandy we started the day with the thermocline down 110, when we left at 11:00 it was up to 70 feet. That’s a ton of moving water. The currents were fierce. It was the day after a hard NW blow. You are correct about the current when the winds have been stable, l find there is generally an East current (water moving East). The currents get crazy from 9 mile point into Mexico bay as that East current is forced to the North.