Question about running a chute rod

For the guys that have a lot more experience than I do, I have been wondering about the feasibility of running a 400 weighted steel rod straight out the back of my boat to complement my normal setup of one downrigger line at each of the two back corners and one 9' wire diver rod on each side of the boat with mag divers on a #3 setting run back 200-275 ft. Mostly curious about the probability of the diver lines getting into the weighted steel line in turns. I'm thinking that the divers should be set to run deeper than the weighted steel line, which I would expect to be running about 75' deep. Or would I be better off running a chute rod with a diver on a zero setting and keeping that higher than the port and starboard diver depths? Your thoughts and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Bottom-Feeder. I don't mind the fish tangling up the lines, that only means that I'm catching fish. Just trying to avoid the fishermen doing it. Definitely going to give the chute rod a try when we hit the Oak in a couple of weeks. Never fished the west end before, so I'll be having a bunch of new experiences this year, including a 9 hour tow from South Jersey. Can't wait!

• 1 month later...

We often run a 300-copper chute line in that configuration. I don't know why, but sometimes it catches up to 50% of the fish. Last time out, the chute copper, caught our 4 biggest kings and a fifth one tore us off in the backing. We had 39 kings in 2.5 days, and the riggers, divers and boards caught the smaller fish, a lot of shakers. We have also had some major tangles while doing it. Next time out, I am going to try a church tackle stern planer with the chute copper. It should allow me to run the line back farther from the boat and out of the way. Also, when you catch a fish, rather than clear the copper line, you can let out more line with the clicker while you are playing the fish to get it father behind the boat and out of the way and it keeps fishing. Good luck.

Follow up to my question about running a chute rod, and the results. Hit the Oak on July 19th through Aug. 4th. Love the facilities available for the fisherman there. First class ramp and good docking facilities with fish cleaning station at the Orleans County Marine Park. Fished solo in 475-500 the first day without running the chute rod, instead using one downrigger and two diver setups, spoons on the riggers with fixed cheaters and F/F on the divers. Took one 15 lb. salmon on a F/F, a couple of skippies on the spoons, and several steelhead (didn't count), all on spoons. Started running a 400 weighted steel chute rod when my son and son-in-law showed up, allowing for more rods in use, and it started providing results almost immediately. Like Lamtec, some of the biggest fish we caught over three days were on the 400' chute rod, including a 26lb. 12oz. king weighed in at Narby's. Needless to say, that rod will now be a permanent part of our arsenal. Only ran the chute rod with spoons this year to avoid tangles, didn't feel the need to try anything else since it produced so well with the spoons. Might try F/F or meat rig next year if the spoons aren't producing. Did get one massive tangle when a wild king took one of the wire divers into the weighted steel, but getting it untangled only cost us 50' of wire diver line and the weighted steel survived unscathed. And, we got the fish! So, in my opinion, the weighted steel chute setup is a winner and a permanent part of my setup from now on. And as a side note, fantastic fishing at Oak Orchard, already scheduled my trip for next year.

I think it is just quiet in the water and that helps. Up here in Maine at time the big fish get ball shy (I think). So I will run 2 color of lead core behind my ball. At times that is the answer. So I think the stealth of the chute rod so far back all by its lonesome helps. Just my thoughts. 

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I also run the church stern planer as a chute rod and it stays out of the way of the other rods, but you need a big reel to get back far enough. It's a pain when the action is hot because it's a ton of line to crank in but when it's slow it's a way to get another lure into the mix. Pretty easy to do.