4TH LAKE INFO.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/88077.html

Not sure this helps much... If I were going  there I would run smaller lures than you might on cayuga.. I do know the fish there don't typically run as large as  in the FL.. I have been there, and remember the water being highly colored by tannin, and with a sand  bottom inshore.  i don't remember much  in the way of weeds, rocks, structure, but its been a long time... There is some deep water in the main basin of the lake... I am sure others have fished it more extensively  than I have, and can give better information... All i can say is when I was up there, I was unimpressed by the fishing compared to the Finger Lakes, but of course, I knew nothing about  how, when ,where etc... let us know how you make out, I'm very interested..  bob

I fished 4th back in 2016, we caught a couple lakers and a LL around 22" at this waypoint. All fish were very dark due to the tannins in the water like mentioned compared to Cayuga. I found it hard to make any kind of long troll due to the ups and downs of bottom. I basically did a bunch of circles at this spot. I would also check out the west end around Alger Island, some good deep water there too. Looking forward to hear how you make out.

Todd

20220714_091111.jpg

While I've been up there a lot I've never really fished 4th Lake that much. A lot of the Laker and LL fishing is just north of Dollar Island and on the east side of Cedar Island. I see a lot of boats jigging (old timers will be handlining flashers) or trolling there. That also seems to be where most of the ice fishermen set up as well. 

• 4 weeks later...

I had a dock .Did not fish much. 7 lakers and a LL. Brought up downriggerball in 80 fow and it was warm. Did tubing and sightseeing. The fish I caught were small very stressed . released and some probably did not make it. Fished both deeper water holes. 2 rod spread to turn tight. As you would imagine suttons.  Guy next to me caught this pike. Nice lake ,extremely busy on weekends.The homes around the lake are just amazing. All the restaurants in area that we stopped at were great. Thanks to those who responded.

Big pike.jpg

4th lake.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah I would take the Finger  Lakes over the Fulton Chain any day.. For all types of fishing.. That IS a nice Pike  in your picture though!    That area has just become way too "touristy" for my  taste.. better fishing  close to home IMHO....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SWATMedic said:

couldn't agree more....spent a lot of time of both lakes, Cayuga has far better fishing and less boats.

Might be interesting to see  how the Fulton Chain Lakes fish say after October or something.. When the tourists are gone it might be a lot better... Still probably wouldn't match what we have in  central NY,, Not worth the drive to me...

Forty or fifty years ago the area was home to very good fishing but like many other places here in NYS the environment has changed. Fishing there is usually "incidental" to being there for most folks as there is a lot to do and see in the area and a lot of it isn't too "touristy" when you get away from the tourist hot spots. The area is a great place to take the family and offers a very diverse selection of activities. I know that Sticks was there mainly for those reasons as it is hard to get him unglued from the Fingers and Lake O:lol:

Like lots of things in New York the democrats have destroyed we need to vote red to bring our great state back to its former glory get out & vote love this state sorry that I posted this but hate seeing our country go to hell

• Like 1