Advice on how to register a boat trailer that doesn't have a previous registration OR a VIN # anywhere on the frame...

Looking for advice from anyone who has registered a boat trailer recently that didn't have a previous registration, and also no VIN stickered or stamped on the frame.  I bought an older used trailer a few years ago knowing the PO didn't have the reg, and used it for a smaller 14' aluminum boat, just ran it with the plate and NYSI from my 17' boat trailer as needed.  Now I am fixing up the trailer to sell as a package with the 14' boat and outboard, and I want to be able to offer it with a valid registration.  I know I need to go to the CAT weight scale near me and get a certified weight slip, but the DMV info I am looking at says to be registered as "homemade" I need to supply receipts for the parts I used to build it.  I have bought a few things like spray paint and replacement axle seals, but that's about it.  How strict is that rule at the DMV in order to get the trailer registered?

Thanks, Mike

I registered mine as home made.  It was a royal pain in the ass.  I had to come up with about $250 in receipts to get the DMV interested.  Bought a new wiring harness, lights, rims, tires, bearings and had a receipt for scrap metal as well.

it can be done, but how big of a pain it will be is going to be dependent on how seriously your DMV clerk takes their job.  I’ve been told some clerks in some counties are more thorough than others.  Maybe try a nearby county instead of your county of residence.

• Like 1

it's pretty simple here in indiana. all we need is a bill of sale. then we have to get a police check just to make sure it doesn't have any numbers. then we take the bill of sale and the police check to the BMV and they send in to the state to get new numbers. the state issues new numbers which has to be stamped on a plate and mounted to the trailer. then we get another police check to make sure the new numbers are on the trailer in an acceptable manner. then back to the BMV and register the trailer and apply for a title.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sherman brown said:

it's pretty simple here in indiana. all we need is a bill of sale. then we have to get a police check just to make sure it doesn't have any numbers. then we take the bill of sale and the police check to the BMV and they send in to the state to get new numbers. the state issues new numbers which has to be stamped on a plate and mounted to the trailer. then we get another police check to make sure the new numbers are on the trailer in an acceptable manner. then back to the BMV and register the trailer and apply for a title.

Yeah that's a little easier and more straightforward than the NYS process.  I have to get the trailer weighed, get an official weight slip, then fill out a reg form and a homemade trailer form, and a sales tax/use form and take all that plus my receipts for what I spent building the trailer to the NY DMV and hope that it is all ok with them.  I have spent about $400 total in parts to get it up to snuff, so hopefully they just accept it and register it as homemade....

• Thanks 1

Getting my homemade boat trailer registered was literally the easiest experience I've ever encountered at the dmv. Walked in and walked out with this piece of paper that had my Vin number for the trailer. Went back the next day with a certified weight slip and walked out with my license plate. Everything since then has been done online considering I don't even live in NY anymore. Only reason you would need receipts is if you bought new stuff for trailer. Other than that tell them stuff was found laying around in your garage. Kinda funny on my trailer registration the color of my trailer is labeled "grey/rust"😁

20220713_172150.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zimmy4209 said:

Getting my homemade boat trailer registered was literally the easiest experience I've ever encountered at the dmv. Walked in and walked out with this piece of paper that had my Vin number for the trailer. Went back the next day with a certified weight slip and walked out with my license plate. Everything since then has been done online considering I don't even live in NY anymore. Only reason you would need receipts is if you bought new stuff for trailer. Other than that tell them stuff was found laying around in your garage. Kinda funny on my trailer registration the color of my trailer is labeled "grey/rust"😁

20220713_172150.jpg

I see you did yours in 2010.  I have heard it was literally as easy as you said back then.  Something changed about 5-6 years ago, now they want you to get the weight slip 1st, then go to DMV with the slip, that form you showed plus a couple more, and receipts for the parts/pieces you used to build the trailer.  I am not sure why the rules changed, except it's NY...Go figure!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, 1lastweekend said:

I am not sure why the rules changed,

I registered several homemade trailers 10-15 years ago.   Now the state is all about the sale tax money... they want lots of receipts to make sure you paid sales tax when purchasing parts, and then pay it again when you first register....

• Like 1