Another Hughes 7-16-22 report

Admiral Byrd and I went for an afternoon/evening cruise and motored out to 530 ft to have a look. Nothing on the screen along the way out or there so trolled back in. Caught 5 or 6 lb steelie on 10 color, then 8 lb king on rigger both with spoons. Went to adjust wire dipsy with F/Fly set at 250 on a 1 setting and it got grabbed while in my hand by "hit and run' and got off. Stayed in the 220-280 range and ahd a huge hit on the dipsy F/fly set at 250 on 1 with white homemade fly on it. Had it on for several minutes and he stripped wire from 250 to 580ft and gone. When brought line in two hooks on of the triple X strength treble hook straightened out:envy: A little later huge hit and Spin doc with same homemade white fly set on #3 out 330ft. Fought like hell and took line repeatedly out to 0ver 600 on counter and never gave up until in the boat. Hell of a time netting him and he had a giant lamprey attached when he came in the boat right behind the gill but fresh wound and hadn't fully penetrated skin yet. Killed the lamprey. King weighed 25 lbs on scale. While bringing him in rigger fired and another 5 or 6 lb steelie on spoon set at 85 ft. All in all fun time gorgeous day and a couple of fights to remember.

25lber.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 10

Skateo. we were out there also.. 500fow... Had one run 900ft out before it straightened the hook.Had to clamp the drag down before we got spooled ..Spoon hit I would have liked to see it... Stayed the night and fished today. 8 majors.. several steelhead,and some skippers..Mostly spoon bite. Best salmon day in many years

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1