Fished the channel around Carleton Island from 7:00PM to 11:30PM. 50-100 FOW. Tried 100, 200, 300 coppers, various lead core, downriggers with cheaters and top lines. Speed 1.8 - 2.2 mph. Fished stick baits and a few worm harnesses.  Surface temp was 73, about 50 feet down went to 65, about 100 feet down about 60 degrees.  Charted some nice bait and fish all over the water column.  A lot of fish down deep 60-100 feet.  I’m really wondering what type of fish those would likely be? At temps of 60-65 degrees I would not think they are walleye, but not sure what else they might be in the river at that depth.  Anyway, all we managed to boat was a perch. Here all week and would like to find some walleye. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.  

Edited by Dan P

8 hours ago, Dan P said:

Fished the channel around Carleton Island from 7:00PM to 11:30PM. 50-100 FOW. Tried 100, 200, 300 coppers, various lead core, downriggers with cheaters and top lines. Speed 1.8 - 2.2 mph. Fished stick baits and a few worm harnesses.  Surface temp was 73, about 50 feet down went to 65, about 100 feet down about 60 degrees.  Charted some nice bait and fish all over the water column.  A lot of fish down deep 60-100 feet.  I’m really wondering what type of fish those would likely be? At temps of 60-65 degrees I would not think they are walleye, but not sure what else they might be in the river at that depth.  Anyway, all we managed to boat was a perch. Here all week and would like to find some walleye. If anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.  

I caught walleye during the day in that area 40-70 down along the bottom.  The key was the drop offs into the shipping channel.  They were right on top of the breaks.  

• Thanks 1

Near the channel edge in 30-55 ' a few down to 70ft this time of year but the numbers for us are hanging round 40-50' downstream in the river , either deep divers just above marks in those areas or riggers with shallow stick baits parked between 35-50' will do the job 

Try again in about 3 weeks…The cape area doesn’t heat up until very late July … or august. Use heavy jigs or bottom bouncers.. gotta be near bottom. I hear of guys getting the odd ones now but they’re fishin all night for 1 or 2. 

• Thanks 1

That is very helpful, thank you. Wrong time of year. Just came back from another 6 hours of no fish. I love fishing, but I’m not willing to fish all night for maybe a fish or two. So what months are the walleye fishing on the river typically the best?