Spent the weekend fishing both days with my son, Keith, Scott and Mason out of Sandy.  Saturdays agenda was to fish browns hard and then go scoop up some derby lakers.  We pounded the brown water with some decent brown action but it wasn't what I was hoping for.  The 3-8lb brown classes are healthy and so is the bait population in those waters (I was able to make cutbait out of the alewife we foul hooked.  We decided to bump out a little to get away from the bait and stumbled onto some mature kings inside of 100'.  That gave us the starting point for Sunday morning and we headed out to the laker grounds.  Laker action was steady but they were scattered way more than normal in the deeper water I usually fish.  First laker was a decent fish hitting the LOC board at 18.02.  This fish was 39 1/2" long and super skinny.  We picked away at lakers until noon and the last rod in fires with another 18.02 laker that was only 33" long.  Alien Gambler Rig in regular size behind A Hammerhead Froggy Aluminum cowbell was the hot set up for lakers all weekend.  Sunday morning we broke the pierheads and headed to the water we found on Saturday.  I knew it was going to be a stellar morning when I got three rods in and all three fired while we were putting out the fourth.  The chaos continued into the late morning before we spent an hour beating up the boys and making them reel in lake trout after lake trout.  Mason ended up boating an 18 lb laker that went back to catch next year since it would have been the bottom of the board after many lakers were weighed in Saturday.  

16259A58-F138-4A7D-BAFD-A9FF5EF35644.jpeg

0C307A0F-F879-4EDD-A9E7-14CA1A974F5E.jpeg

8E9306B0-CFD5-4622-961F-FE69BE41CBE3.jpeg

80E13CB7-81C6-47CE-9F58-388714170B78.jpeg

F3F8308D-F974-4C12-9B14-445F28486FDA.jpeg

4CCAA2D2-DBD1-45B4-B4CF-E39A1B1A5FD2.jpeg

5AF9088F-2572-4D4D-9F62-287FFED4433E.jpeg

Edited by GAMBLER
  • Like 13

4 hours ago, Gill-T said:

How are you liking the new boat?

Other than the mechanical hick ups the first couple of trips, its great!  More room, and it trolls straighter than the last one.  The only thing I miss is an autopilot.  That is coming this winter.  When you fish for 15 years in a boat with one and now you don't have one, it sucks.  The 9.9 Honda kicker is a huge plus.  I have used very little fuel so far this season.  

Edited by GAMBLER

9 minutes ago, MrKato said:

At what depth were you catching those lakers?  And I assume they were on or close to the bottom?

120 -140.  On the bottom with Hammerhead 5/0 cowbells and Gambler Rigs.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Other than the mechanical hick ups the first couple of trips, its great!  More room, and it trolls straighter than the last one.  The only thing I miss is an autopilot.  That is coming this winter.  When you fish for 15 years in a boat with one and now you don't have one, it sucks.  The 9.9 Honda kicker is a huge plus.  I have used very little fuel so far this season.  

I hear ya. I can’t troll down right now with my I/O since new carb installed. I can get her down to 2.7 downspeed trolling with the down current so I have been having to use heavier spoons like Moonshines to make it work. It stinks not being able to fish the way you want. 

32 minutes ago, Jetsled said:

Gambler,

mind sharing pics/setup of 9.9 kicker off u r Penn Yan?  i have 255 Intruder that i want to do the same, install a 9.9 kicker.  just need the right bracket & setup.

thanks!

Jetsled

let me see what I have for pics on my phone.  If they don't work for what you are looking for, I will take more this week when I'm down at the boat.  

Here are two pics that I have Jetsled.  The controls and fuel line were originally installed going through the vent on the side of the boat.  That’s all going to change this winter when I install an autopilot.  The vents are getting replaced and a hole with a rubber boot will be installed on the transom where all the controls, fuel line and autopilot parts need to go.  I also added a Trollsmarter remotes throttle adjustment unit.  $350.00 for the unit, remote, gimbal mount and al the hardware. It’s been a great unit so far.  Easy install and seems like great quality.  

730E1108-0560-4A65-826B-E8EF3AA76F59.jpeg

02AAB482-561C-4BA6-855E-B5B6B70A22C8.jpeg

gambler,

no issue(s) with motor & bracket?  i have a swim platform, but that can be modified easily.  my transom is already 2x thick on port side when i had transom/stringers replaced back in 2012 via Samson Marine (Clint).  long shaft (25") honda?  separate fuel tank for kicker?  read/heard issues trying to splice off main fuel filter...

thanks!

Jetsled, here are some pictures of my Intruder's kicker setup with an Adventure Marine bracket.

The T9.9 has an extralong shaft (25") and a TR-1 auto pilot.  Does a pretty good job unless the wind/currents are really strong then I will drop in some trolling bags, start the main motor up with the steering locked strait and use the kicker to steer and fine tune my speed.  

Not trying to steal this thread, just another way of getting the job done for your reference.

post-140506-0-95381900-1372616751_thumb.jpg

IMG_0247.thumb.JPG.49f777e81f3d4409401584af05e4ecbe.JPGIMG_0042.thumb.JPG.f4a68ec0d5c4876eda131108c50d2a17.JPG

21 minutes ago, Jetsled said:

gambler,

no issue(s) with motor & bracket?  i have a swim platform, but that can be modified easily.  my transom is already 2x thick on port side when i had transom/stringers replaced back in 2012 via Samson Marine (Clint).  long shaft (25") honda?  separate fuel tank for kicker?  read/heard issues trying to splice off main fuel filter...

thanks!

Zero issues with the bracket.  The fuel line is hooked to a three way valve in the main fuel line.  The issues arise if you don't valve off the motor that is not in use.  Don't ask me how I know.  It is a Honda 9.9 long shaft with the high thrust prop.  

Mudflat,

I don't look at it as stealing, I look at it as helping out.  No worries!