Catamaran

I thought the same thing about Cat's catching air, but there are two 34' Baha Cat's in Ashtabula on Lake Erie run by charters that I know. They are some really stable fishing machines. And when we get hit with those snotty short period waves we get on Erie, they have no problem going out and keeping pace with my 36' Tiara Open. They do look uncomfortable in a beam sea though...

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

On 7/19/2022 at 1:15 PM, Reigleman said:

Why are there not catamarans on lake Ontario in lake Erie I would think they would be the more practical boat for fishing is it because of price

I went mate on a 42' Fin Cat out of Portland Maine a few years ago. It had twin 300's and would top out at 45 mph. This one had a hydrofoil midship. At 25-27mph + most of the boat would come up on the hydrofoil and out of the water and glide over 3-4' of chop. That was the most stable comfortable riding boat I have been on at higher speeds. Sid to she was again very stable. IMO they would be perfect for the Great Lakes.

The only drawback I saw (which would seldom be a issue on LO) was a deep following sea as when they crest the top going down over at high speed they will bury the bow resulting in a rapid stop. But as with any boat just drive it according to the conditions.