Prop Selection

Brian S

Looking for advice on prop selection. Boat is a 2016 Starcraft Fishmaster 196 with Mercury 150 4S and the originalaluminum prop. It is used strictly for trout and salmon trolling on Lake Ontario but may serve as a cruiser, tube puller as my daughter gets older ( she's 2 now).

Reason for replacing is the original prop is pretty beat up and just looking for something better to keep the stern up especially running trough the slop, 2-3 fters. Not really interested to much in sqeezing every last mph out of her. Also I troll off the main motor using Mercury Smartcraft and troll control. No kicker, but I may add one port side in the future. Typical weight is 2-4 guys, half tank of fuel and fishing gear. 

The internet tells me alot of folks are running a Tempest 17P for similar setups. Just looking for thoughts/advice as SS props aren't cheap. Thanks in advance.

My nephew , who is big into racing boats in FLA , told me I should get a stainless steel prop . 

I said I don't need the speed . 

He said they can't get the cup and pitch in an aluminum prop like they can in stainless . He said with aluminum , you have basically 1 gear. Also said I would get better gas mileage . 

I don't know anything about any of that , but he has built from scratch a 30 ft offshore racing boat and is a certified offshore racing official ,so I trust his opinion . 

I have seen props in his garage that he has sent out to have machined  and ported . They are really something to see . 

it would really help to know more about the prop you have now. what pitch it is? what if any complaints you have with it? do you get a good hole shot with it? what rpm's will it run at wot? what is your max rpm for your motor?

you may want to think about going to a 4 or even a 5-blade prop. and don't rule out going to a ss prop as you can get on eBay and check out the used prop you're looking for. I went to high five props yrs. ago while fishing Erie and loaded with 4 a full tank of gas and all our gear then a fish cooler food cooler downrigger weights she just didn't want to plane off with the 3 blade 19p that came on the boat. I went to a 19p high five, and she jumped on plane handled rough water like a champ and hung tight in turns.  but later I went to a 17p for more rpms. now it comes out of the hole like a dragster. but the high five props in like new condition off eBay cost me 250.00 or less for over 600.00 new. but ss will pay for itself over time. things that will ding aluminum will only bounce of ss. and with ss I have repaired many of them over the yrs. by using a 2x4 backing and a ball peen hammer. I've used a file to smooth out rough edges without removing enough metal to harm balance.,

Sherman, the current prop is a 3 blade 13X19P aluminum. I am unsure of the model but I'm assuming it is a Mercury prop. Max RPM for the 150 4S is 5800. I wish I knew what I was getting currently but it is difficult to get it to plane out regardless of where the motor is trimmed, especially in any kind of chop. That is what my primary complaint is.

I guess I'll have to take it for a ride on a smaller lake when it is flat to try and figure out the current max RPM's. As far as hole shot, it seems pretty meh, to me. Bare in mind I came from a world of super charged jet skis before I got into fishing so my experience is subject to that.

I attached a couple pictures of the motor trimmed all the way down on the trailer. Does the height of the anticavitation plate to the bottom of the hull look correct? Thanks again.20220723_201652.thumb.jpg.72cdbb9ced31c9f54fddadb938257f83.jpg20220723_201545.thumb.jpg.81dac0f5358907b7ee00a7e4f69fca98.jpg20220723_201438.thumb.jpg.5d393a741e2ad6fac0552a45a9a076f9.jpg

My 21 ft hardtop with 305 Chevy came with a 15 /17  prop 

I dinged it and  brought it to Spinneli to fix and buy a spare . He sat down with me and suggested a 15 1/2  / 15  prop  . He said these fishing boats get loaded with equipment and coolers and that prop would have better performance . And he was spot on . It has better hole shot , better cruising in waves . I lost a little top  end but it was better all around and better trolling . 

3 hours ago, Brian S said:

Sherman, the current prop is a 3 blade 13X19P aluminum. I am unsure of the model but I'm assuming it is a Mercury prop. Max RPM for the 150 4S is 5800. I wish I knew what I was getting currently but it is difficult to get it to plane out regardless of where the motor is trimmed, especially in any kind of chop. That is what my primary complaint is.

I guess I'll have to take it for a ride on a smaller lake when it is flat to try and figure out the current max RPM's. As far as hole shot, it seems pretty meh, to me. Bare in mind I came from a world of super charged jet skis before I got into fishing so my experience is subject to that.

I attached a couple pictures of the motor trimmed all the way down on the trailer. Does the height of the anticavitation plate to the bottom of the hull look correct? Thanks again.20220723_201652.thumb.jpg.72cdbb9ced31c9f54fddadb938257f83.jpg20220723_201545.thumb.jpg.81dac0f5358907b7ee00a7e4f69fca98.jpg20220723_201438.thumb.jpg.5d393a741e2ad6fac0552a45a9a076f9.jpg

I'm not really the guy to ask but to me it looks pretty good from what I can see in the pictures. if it was me the least I would try is a 17p but if you really want to improve your hole shot and handling in rough water with more lift and less blow outs in turns a 4 or 5 blade in 17p would be in my future if at all possible. but if you really don't want to invest in ss there are some nice 4 blade aluminum props you can get. I took a quick look on eBay at 17p 4 blade props, and I seen some great prices on ss and aluminum. there was one used ss 17p for as little as 225.00 but I never checked it out. but there were plenty others for more money. if you could find a good used revolution 4 that you could swing it would be great. just make sure you don't order a LH rotation. good luck and maybe someone with better knowledge can tell you more on cavitation height.

This is the prop I went with for my fishmaster 196. I’m getting 45mphish at 52-5400rpms. I called Vic’s Sports center since they set up at lot of them and this is what they told me. I think I would get closer to 6000rpms but I think my engine is mounted to low. 

F74343CF-F094-4478-B234-7C8090183848.jpeg

My 135 Merc Optimax on an 18 ft Whaler has a Mirage Plus 17P SS prop and although I seldom use it to troll and largely do so with my 9.9 it will troll at 1.8 mph at 560 rpm's and it is good out of the hole with top end speed in the 40's. I normally run it with the trim all the way down or close to it but it keeps the bow down and the stern upright while underway and seems to be a great all around prop with real good gas milage

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Nasc620, I'm assuming you have a Merc or Yammy 150 or 200? I'm not surprised that is the prop that is recommended by Vic's as alot of the Erie guys with Fishmasters seem to be running it. Thanks for your input.

Brian