SLR Suggestions for First Timer

All,

Pulling the 16' Lund Tiller up to Wellesley Island this Friday.  Bringing the girls with me and would LOVE to get them on some perch we could fry up.  Anyone have any pointer about were to look this time of year?  I have read 18-30' on breaks off Picton Island or canoe point. Any other advice?  Would also be interested in chasing walleye while I was up there.  I usually fish Lake Erie and Chautauqua for Walleye and Perch so I am outfitted pretty well.

Also anyone know a good spot for getting non-ethanol gas near Wellesley Island?  I imagine there are plenty of places to get it, but would also expect it might get more expensive as you get closer to water.

Thanks,

Edited by SalmonSniper

What part of Wellesley ?  We stay at the east end near Mary Island State Park . always do well around Fairyland, Pike, Hugenot Islands or go into Lake of the Isles or just before the channel. Don't have to fish too deep for them, but haven't been there since Father's Day weekend.

Thanks!! we will be on Eel Bay.  But will possibly dock the boat at the marina if they have shore power for me to charge the trolling motor batteries.  Otherwise I will launch the boat when we go so I can pull it and charge back up at the cottage.

Edited by SalmonSniper

Opposite end of where we stay. Hope I didn't mislead, was referencing perch when I said never that deep.  We still find them in 6' of water, just look around docks, weeds edges, etc. Walleye probably deep in the main channel this time of year, but will defer to Kevin Legg and other locals. Bass are plentiful, and smallies put up a great fight.

Thanks Kevin and spinfly. I might do a trip by myself to try and locate a school of larger perch before I take the girls. Every time I take them fishing they ask we if we are going to catch something we can eat lol. 

On another note is there anywhere good to dip for minnows or will I be needing to buy some. 

Thanks,

Ok thanks. Around here we dip for minnows in the niagara river to use in erie for perch. No problems with the DEC since it is from the same waters.  We are allowed to transport non certified bait within the lake erie corridor. 

Any suggestions on bait shops near wellesley or abay? Or are there enough around that I shouldn't worry?

What spinfly said. TiBait store has everything fishing you need, plus ethanol free fuel. Plus, like Kevin said(I have learned a LOT by reading his posts and following his advice!), fish 30 to 40ft channel edges. Although last Sept I caught my biggest Walleye at 11am. Go figure. I still like dark hours.