Landlocks

Has anyone been catching any quality salmon on Seneca or Cayuga lately & if so what kind of depth so I can shorten the water column search pattern thanks in advance good fishing Trouthunter out

Trout hunter—been on Seneca 3 times on the east side between Valois and Peach Orchard Pt and west side from Glenora to Starkey Pt since July 19.  Marked lots of bait between 30 -90’ over most the area; marked predators in and around the bait.  My fish hawk TD reported 50 degrees water temp at about 60’ and 40 degrees around 75/80’ regardless of overall depth.  surface temps are 75-76 degrees down to around 8’ and then begin a pretty linear run down to 120’.

I had one hook up of a rigger at 90 over 250 but lost it after a big run.  Time was around 8:30 am.  I am running two downriggers with various spoons based on other reports. Fleas are present but minimal nuisance.  Going out Sunday afternoon with my son and will provide updates.  I plan on running at least one Rapala husky jerk silver on a downrigger.

My is experience minimal, but I have been gleaning for others on this forum.  So I hope this helped some.

Note:  east side of the lake has weeds out to 80’ and numerous weed pods floating north to south.

PoJ

Dead, I think not....

Found plenty of atlantics this weekend. Nothing very large but plentiful and fun. No rhyme or reason. Pulled one 100 down on an echip/fly then the rest on spoons 45 to 60 down through the day Sunday.

Fishing has been great on Seneca all year long... Anyone who fishes it frequently will agree.

The bandwagon on cayuga will slow down soon enough...

Seneca is a dead lake.

Sent from my moto e6 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 8/1/2022 at 7:23 AM, lakebound88 said:
Dead, I think not....

Found plenty of atlantics this weekend. Nothing very large but plentiful and fun. No rhyme or reason. Pulled one 100 down on an echip/fly then the rest on spoons 45 to 60 down through the day Sunday.

Fishing has been great on Seneca all year long... Anyone who fishes it frequently will agree.

The bandwagon on cayuga will slow down soon enough...

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You have been saying samething for years when 99% of the old timers say the lake is dead. Just because you catch a few fish doesn't mean the lake isn't dead. The perch fishing is dead. Lake trout are babies. The lake needs to be better managed and the longer you deny it the more foolish you look. Seneca may have a few fish left in it but not compared to any of the other lakes except kueka which is also mismanaged by the same moron.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, FishingTheFL said:

Your and idiot. You have been saying samething for years when 99% of the old timers say the lake is dead. Just because you catch a few fish doesn't mean the lake isn't dead. The perch fishing is dead. Lake trout are babies. The lake needs to be better managed and the longer you deny it the more foolish you look. Seneca may have a few fish left in it but not compared to any of the other lakes except kueka which is also mismanaged by the same moron.

Do not have to call people idiot he is only giving his opinion for him the lake is yielding some fish it maybe true that the lake needs help but we still have great fishing here in western New York

2 hours ago, FishingTheFL said:

Your and idiot. You have been saying samething for years when 99% of the old timers say the lake is dead. Just because you catch a few fish doesn't mean the lake isn't dead. The perch fishing is dead. Lake trout are babies. The lake needs to be better managed and the longer you deny it the more foolish you look. Seneca may have a few fish left in it but not compared to any of the other lakes except kueka which is also mismanaged by the same moron.

Classy......   And before calling someone an idiot, you might want to proof read your post before clicking submit.  

• Like 1

HI All,

I live on the east side of Seneca, about 6 miles up (near the Distillery).  Having the same issues, I find lots of bait/fish - the last few days 30-65ft over 100 - but am not hooking up with any regularity.  Trolling at +/- 2mph, Suttons, stingers, rapalas, big/small...Any advice?  South end?  Thanks, Tim

PS starting to see a few fish on the bottom but nothing on copper today.

Yeah, not cool calling people nasty names.. Look, some guys do well on lakes when others don't- its really that simple... Me personally, I don't troll,  but  I do jig a lot, and like to bait fish as well.. To me, Seneca is a pathetic shadow of what it was at one time... there was a long period of time when I fished Seneca over Cayuga simply because i caught more and bigger fish there.. Last few years I don't even bother.. The water looks bad compared to what it looked like at one time, with sickly looking algae and slime  near shore.. I used to catch  wonderful  big panfish  from the shore there all summer,, No longer... last few years trying  i didn't even get a bite.. Nowadays I fish Cayuga for Salmonids and  Skaneateles for panfish and Bass.  I think the wineries, huge farms, and rampant development in some places has hurt all the Finger Lakes.. Too much organic material going in is my very uneducated guess... I am just seeing weeds and  gloppy l looking algae in places it had never been...  Still, some guys are happy with the fishing and doing very well, so  who is to say if any lake is "dead"... if guys are tearing it up  fishing on a lake, its certainly not dead. right?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, timpix said:

Any particular techniques you would suggest?

There are recent posts on Seneca with good advice from people that know much more than me. I have noticed over the last few years that trolling through huge bait balls has been a waste of time for me. There are fish around the bait but I don’t catch many of them. I’ve had better luck looking for groups of fish in areas with less bait on the screen. There are days where it seems like bait is everywhere. I haven’t seen that as much this year. Also noticed that 10 or so years ago certain spoons or set ups worked consistently. Now I’m finding that cowbells work one day but not the next, pulling copper is not as consistent, silver fish are very hit or miss. 

40 minutes ago, Never Ends said:

Seneca is a heck of a lot better than it was 3 years ago. I think we are on the upswing!

That statement right there just about sums this topic up!  She’s only going to get better. Practice catch and release when ever you can. 

• Like 1

Pics are from yesterday and today on 3-4hr trips. Most old timers are stuck in their pre zebra mussel ways, if your not catching switch you lures. Im not complaining about the perch, last year was one of the best years we had , it’s a hush lake all the guys that catch don’t say much

7E6CA0AF-09AE-4B66-B9E4-FB4F8112F562.jpeg

A5373B8A-C79C-427F-88F1-1B63A7BD0954.jpeg

DA622DCD-3CF6-42AE-A339-A477A5B26F29.jpeg

• Like 1