tough temps out of I bay today

shot straight out to 200' dropped the ball to 80' temps 70's dropped to 110' temps mid 40s so found what i thought was a good depth 50 degree's at 90' but..........temps were all over the place current was slow but at 90' temps went from 46 degree's to 60 degree's  trolled through it all thermocline is all over the place .i wonder if  were going to get some upwelling? oh not even a shaker today tried from200' to 300'  that is all 4 hrs worth of gas.....ugh

I set lines at 150 around 7 this morning.  Temps were not consistent but I did mark some fish.  At one point I had 70 degrees down 100 over 150.  I did pick up a nice king over 220 down 110 on carbon 14 spoon.  Funny thing is that I saw a "streaker" on the graph and mentioned it to my dad.  2 seconds later a rod fires and a 20#er heads for the moon.  Wonder if the fish followed the meat rig on the other rigger and then hit the spoon that was set a bit farther out?  Finished the day 2/3 with a skippy and a knock off.  Headed back to the dock around 1130 to haz mat situation.  There must have been 5 fire trucks and 40+ firefighters, LEOs and DEC.  I guess a boat that was parked at the dock was leaking oil or gas??  Took more an hour and a half to get the boat out as they had everything blocked off.  This situation cost me a free cheeseburger.  =0(

Saw the same today out of the bay. Started in 100' and 45 degree temp was down 110'. Went 3 for 6 but nothing over 10 to 12 pounds. Rods were set between 90' to 125' with sliders. Five hits on the same rod. Carbon 14 down 120ft. the other fish came on an NBK stinger set at 115'.  

Saw the same today out of the bay. Started in 100' and 45 degree temp was down 110'. Went 3 for 6 but nothing over 10 to 12 pounds. Rods were set between 90' to 125' with sliders. Five hits on the same rod. Carbon 14 down 120ft. the other fish came on an NBK stinger set at 115'.  

At first I thought my FishHawk was on the fritz, how could the temp not change from the surface down to 80'? Measured it again down to 110' and finally saw the break. Didn't mark many fish and only got one small 18" king at the 90' depth. Fished from 200 to 320 fow. Talked to someone who fished for bass outside Hedges who said they were almost jumping in the boat. Must have been the wind. It was a fuel leak at the Irondequoit public launch causing all the problems. Glad to see no fire like what happened at Mayer's last year.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

13 hours ago, SHOOTER544 said:

shot straight out to 200' dropped the ball to 80' temps 70's dropped to 110' temps mid 40s so found what i thought was a good depth 50 degree's at 90' but..........temps were all over the place current was slow but at 90' temps went from 46 degree's to 60 degree's  trolled through it all thermocline is all over the place .i wonder if  were going to get some upwelling? oh not even a shaker today tried from200' to 300'  that is all 4 hrs worth of gas.....ugh

Right now the guys in Rochester are heading out to the 27-30N lines and getting 20-40 chews a trip. Temp out there is a little more stable, and currents are generally not as bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Bad Habit said:

I did see boats running out and did think about going deeper but I was fishing alone. I don't like the idea of being so far out in case something does happen.

I understand that. I've been doing some 30-40 mile offshore trips with buddies in the Gulf of Mexico the last few Winters. The thought of being that far out with no cell service, and being out of range of VHF help was intimidating. I went ahead and purchased one of these  - ACR Personal Locator Beacon. Check out the videos on how this works. Might be something to give you peace of mind when fishing solo.