Spent the day on Ontario found all the Temps and tried to fish there but my scotty's released before I got to depth approx 130'.

How tight do these need to be ? Also once at depth tightening the line became a problem, never got rod tips down before premature release. Any help would be greatly appreciated and YES I am a novice.  Thanks.

Honestly the black releases are best for your riggers. You can adjust them to as tight and loose as you want. If you are running attractors on the scotty releases just bury the line all the way. You will see the tip of the pole move when a small fish is on. We use Scotty releases when fishing for lake trout for that exact reason. Save yourself some headache and go with those black releases. We set ours very tight when fishing for kings. 619FOCL+NwL._AC_SL1177_.jpg

• Like 2

I agree the blacks are great releases  the only problem is running them on a probe rigger  I want my bait above the probe  I use roemers on the probe rigger. The Scottie’s are good releases for sooons and 8 “ flasher/ fly. Trying to run larger flashers and meat behind them is tough. There is also a light and heavy setting on the Scottie’s. Slide the plastic clip that the tether is attached to toward the release for heavy and away for light 

• Thanks 1

I use the Scotty pinch pads and love them . 

On the back of the release where the cable line is  , push that plastic piece back for better grip . 

I set my releases so tight , I have a hard time popping  it when I want to change . But a good fish has no problem releasing it and I get a good hookset . 

Edited by HB2
  • Thanks 2

I used to run Off Shore and Scotty pinch pads. Switched to blacks releases long time ago, on recent charter for browns questioned captain why he uses Scottys instead of Black Releases. Response was since Blacks are on DR cable can't see smaller fish when they hook up as opposed to pinch pads. More skippies that don't survive. I run my Blacks Release above downrigger ball and probe. They have different varieties for different situations

• Like 1

I just got a set of Chamberlain releases.  They are much like a Blacks but adjust tension for rod release and fish release separately so you can have a good rod bend and still fire on a small fish.

They offer a stacker model that slides on the cable and a cam holds in position where you want it.

I will try them this weekend for walleye.  Hope they work as reviews claim.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

I will try them this weekend for walleye.  Hope they work as reviews claim.

They work great for walleyes...... they can be set light enough that a perch or silver bass trips them. We've run into a bunch of shorts on Erie this season, and they trip just fine. You'll love them.

I’ve pretty much tried them all. I only run chamberlain’s now. First thing I do when I get a new one is run the brass knob in all the way then use the side of a file to etch a line on the back of the knob facing up. This is my release tension reference point. For kings and heavy baits run 1 turn out, stripers, lakers 1.5 turns out, walleye and browns 2 turns out. This has worked well for me. I also set the top release screw pretty tight. I like my rigger rods bent right over with lots of “pre load”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've got limited dr experience and have been using the chamberlain releases. Similar description to what Cody says above is how I've been running them. Missed few fish and haven't found myself pulling any smalls without releasing yet. Like the chamberlains but might try blacks and scottys as I have them as well.