ALL CANNON DOWNRIGGERS

cjc

16 minutes ago, cjc said:

only better when I do get all my money from CANNON for bad cable for what i lost and this is a promise 

Good luck with that!!! Seriously I wish you the best, most companies will call what happened to you user error. I'm sure it wasn't but you'll never hear them say it.

5 hours ago, cjc said:

only better when I do get all my money from CANNON for bad cable for what i lost and this is a promise 

For what it is worth, send them this thread and tell them that in two weeks you will send it to all the fishing websites that you know of with the request to send it on to yet more websites and if they don’t send you a satisfactory answer do exactly that.

Don’t let them browbeat you. They cannot legally stop you from exercising your first amendment rights

Edited by rolmops

I lost a 16 lb ball and probe last fall. First time out with new Cannon riggers. The cable skipped and jumped the spool on the way down and locked up, that was the end of that. I just stood there with my mouth open in disbelief. I was not amused, to say the least.

Edited by young guns
no reason

On 8/3/2022 at 4:27 AM, cjc said:

I would like all of you to wright how many time your cable broke on your cannon downrigger, I had old mag 10s 20 plus years and not one cable break.  Then got new ones cannon mag 10 TS first one right out of box cable broke a 45ft on way down lost 134.00 dollars of stuff.This year first trip cable broke on the way up 2 feet under surface lost fish hawk, shank eveything eles 500.00-600.00 dollars worth of stuff See cable pictures.There reasoning is to much weight and cable rubbing all excuses ran downrigger the same way 27 years on problem ever.

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

Have a couple of the 10s .extendable booms.

Work well for two yrs. Cable good so far.

Will check now though

Saw interesting u tube video from Fish307 . He was working on a Cannon rigger doing maintenance . 

Cannon upgraded the spool because of problems . Also the swivel tip . 

He also said to replace as scheduled maintenance the thrust and drag washers . 

If you have those riggers ,you should watch it . 

every excuse in the book It says 20 lbs weight max on the downrigger I used a 12 pound shark weight then a fishhawk probe 2.5 pounds about 14.5 pounds not even close.

So there you have it . User error . All you guys don't know how to use your downriggers . 

Now THAT is what you call standing behind your product . 

If anyone was considering buying riggers , would anyone reading this post buy Cannon ? 

Edited by HB2

On the other hand I have had 2 of my four Cannons ( the two Mag 10A's) since 1985 and other than updating the electric wires I have had zero problems, and they have the original cable on them (re-terminated a couple times).  Yes they have lighter weights (10 lb) and the retrieval rate is slow but they have consistently worked under heavy use for over thirty years. I think the problem may be  a combination of fast decent or retrieval, possible unevenness of that coupled with increased weight of the downrigger weight with these newer faster more powerful models as much as potentially weak or defective cable. When you combine these factors you have instant disaster.

I've had a break off or two with the newer cannons.  Changed my terminations to wire not rather than crimp and added rigger snubbers. The snubbers help quite a bit with the sudden stops of the fast descent.  Another thing to consider when lowering is using the clutch.  Yes, it's more of a hassle, but can control descent speeds and not have the sudden stop.

I have lost 1 rigger weight in 20+ years of using cannon riggers.  When I did lose one, I had a kink in the cable and was stubborn and didn't change it out.  I replace my cannons every couple of years and haven't had any issues.  I have brand new ones on my boat right now and have not had an issue this season.  

Have had Cannon electric riggers since 1985 in various models including high speed models.  For termination I’ve used Cannon terminators or Klinchers. On high speed models I’ve used Amish Outfitter Ball Snubbers.  Zero issue with ball or probe loss.  Replaced a couple circuit boards due to water intrusion and have corrected that.  I understand being upset by loss of ball and/or probe and if I was in that situation I’d be looking to get a different result.