ALL CANNON DOWNRIGGERS

cjc

Broken at least 4 in the last few years using 10 to 13 lb weights.  I use Scotty weight snubbers to help with the erratic bounce.   Before the Scotty’s I’d cringe when the weight came up bouncing.  In full disclosure my Cannons are mounted on gimbal mounts which I slide into my rod holders so don’t know if that has an impact but there’s no bounce of the rigger and mount. 

I put these on my mag10 stx. I bought the hd models for weights up to 20#. I breath easier now 

Fish Thief Heavy Duty Downrigger Snubber Twin Pack, Black

Fish Thief Heavy Duty Downrigger Snubber Twin Pack

Edited by chinook35
  • Like 1

One of my new to me Walker Tournament riggers had a pice inside the motor break . And it can't be fixed or replaced . In my shoet time of using them  , they are the nicest riggers I've used . Small , smooth , fast enough . 

I need new ones .

What do I buy ?  

QUESTION to you guys,   this post is really putting the fear in my next outing with my STX's

has anyone replaced the steel cable with , for example, Power-Pro braid 200#?

My question really is, will the "short-stop" still work with the braid ?

2 hours ago, Topcat said:

QUESTION to you guys,   this post is really putting the fear in my next outing with my STX's

No

On 8/3/2022 at 4:54 AM, HB2 said:

I have 2 friends that have the same riggers . One lost 2 probes , the other 1 . 

I also had Mag 10s and loved them 

My new to me boat came with Walker tournament riggers . They are great . If I need new riggers some day ,they won't be Cannon . Unless they are the Tournament ones . 

With all the problems I hear about those riggers , let's put it nicely , there are much better options . 

To much weight ? I thought those riggers we're rated for up to 20# 

Give them to Fred Sanford . 

Sanford and son, LOL, 

16 hours ago, Topcat said:

I tried power pro 200 # on my older Cannons years ago. I didn't have any problems with it. They were  " vewy vewy quiet."

18 hours ago, chinook35 said:

I put these on my mag10 stx. I bought the hd models for weights up to 20#. I breath easier now 

Fish Thief Heavy Duty Downrigger Snubber Twin Pack, Black

Fish Thief Heavy Duty Downrigger Snubber Twin Pack

After losing a probe and ball last fall I immediately added these to my riggers and haven't had a problem since, knock on wood. The problem is, once you lose a probe you'll always be gun shy.

I have a new (2 week old) Mag 10, I love it but , I did compare wire to to my very old Cannon, still 7 strand but the old has a straight core and more than double the twist rate per inch.

Never had a break on old one , did cut and retie several times due to kinks in 20 or more years.

The new wire seams a bit stiffer as well. 

I agree on the quick stop is a bit much, could have dialed it back to 200 ft per minute.  Snubber to weight (12 lbs) helped the jerky stop.