ALL CANNON DOWNRIGGERS

cjc

I would like all of you to wright how many time your cable broke on your cannon downrigger, I had old mag 10s 20 plus years and not one cable break.  Then got new ones cannon mag 10 TS first one right out of box cable broke a 45ft on way down lost 134.00 dollars of stuff.This year first trip cable broke on the way up 2 feet under surface lost fish hawk, shank eveything eles 500.00-600.00 dollars worth of stuff See cable pictures.There reasoning is to much weight and cable rubbing all excuses ran downrigger the same way 27 years on problem ever.

IMG_1186.JPG

IMG_1187.JPG

IMG_1188.JPG

IMG_1189.JPG

I have 2 friends that have the same riggers . One lost 2 probes , the other 1 . 

I also had Mag 10s and loved them 

My new to me boat came with Walker tournament riggers . They are great . If I need new riggers some day ,they won't be Cannon . Unless they are the Tournament ones . 

With all the problems I hear about those riggers , let's put it nicely , there are much better options . 

To much weight ? I thought those riggers we're rated for up to 20# 

Give them to Fred Sanford . 

• Haha 1

Yes, the new cannons have a violent acceleration and deceleration that causes cable breakage.  I lost a 14 lb weight soon after using them that concerned me. Luckily it wasn't on the probe side. After that,  I started with snubbers. Also, I back off on the clutch when going down to the point that it is almost slipping. That allows a bit of slippage on the violent stop. Most importantly, when retrieving I do a sort of manual levelwind on the cable because it will stack on one side of the spool and after a while collapse over causing a slack spot. This will cause a problem on the next time down. Been running 16 lb weights with no problem so far, knock on wood.  Unfortunately these kind of measures are necessary.

One word will cure all your Cannon ills:  Scottie. 

The 1116’s are “slow” enough to where they don’t jerk the cable at all. Up or down. The 2116’s are wicked fast, but have a gentle stop at the top and can be set up to stop with the gear anywhere below the surface to make it even less abrupt. Are they expensive?  Yes. Are they bigger?  Yes. Do they just flat out work day after day, up, down all day long no questions asked?  Yes. Are they simple to operate and replace seldom needed parts?  Yes. Have I just left my ‘Hawk on all season and just run it day after day on my 2116’s?  Yes. With that said, I terminated with the Scottie Surestop Pro’s on my winger riggers to make my stopper bead permanent. Made a huge difference not using the stopper beads on the wingers. 

• Like 1

I've been running 4 electric Cannon.s since 1994.  Never broke a cable.  Never replaced a cable.  12 lb weights. Anytime I saw a kink in the cable I cut the cable off and put new end on.  Luckily, kinks were always toward end of cable, so I didn't lose too much cable each time.  

Spoon Fed

I did to from 1994 to 2021 and they were the mag 10s till the motors stop working. What do you use and if you read my post these were right out of the box  new.

It's funny you brought this up. I saw the cable starting to fray on one of my riggers while out on the lake last week. And when I got back home I checked the other ones and found another one was starting to fray at 90'.  I use 18 pound weights with snubbers.  I thought it was from just taking a beating on the lake that day. Bought mine over the winter. Maybe Cannon got a bad batch of cable. 

Think they must of had bad cable . I put new spool on a mag 20. Lost a shark and a x4d  probe . Then again bouncing for Lakers cable jumped the pulley went between the pulley and bolt cut it like a knife. Then another when ball came out of water I must of shocked it and it snapped between the  ball and pulley. Switched to 250 lb Mason. Knock on wood haven't broke any off. Wait ripped a mag 10 off the boat when I got hung up. Expensive mistake. 

They had a batch of bad cable. I read some posts this spring about it which damn near almost made me go to braid when I bought new riggers. I didn’t and haven’t had any issues. Optimums. It’s kinda like if your a ford guy, buy that new truck and a month later get a recall. Do you switch to Chevy?

Oops, just lost a 16 lb weight.  Forgot to follow my own rules and didn't loosen the clutch on decent. 

Stopped at 28 ft for a stacker and it was gone!!!!  Luckily it wasn't the probe side.  I dont usually stack on the probe rigger. Was origional Cannon cable.  Going to go with other type.

3 hours ago, HB2 said:

I don't know how true it is but I heard The Fish Hawk people gave Cannon a great deal on that Downrigger cable . 

That sounds like a paranoid statement. I know the fishawk people . They are not crooks, but then again, it would be very good for business.

Great comment HB2! Gave me a really good laugh. Evidently a lot of people on LOU don't have a sense of humor. Hopefully, folks can get a good laugh and still know that the Fish Hawk folks are great people with a great product and would never actually conspire with Cannon just to sell probes. Lighten up ROLMOPS.

12 minutes ago, nickihoyboy said:

Great comment HB2! Gave me a really good laugh. Evidently a lot of people on LOU don't have a sense of humor. Hopefully, folks can get a good laugh and still know that the Fish Hawk folks are great people with a great product and would never actually conspire with Cannon just to sell probes. Lighten up ROLMOPS.

, I think you misunderstood me. I was completely in on the sarcasm part, I thought the very good for business made that clear.

When your fish hawk probe, and the shark, flasher extra's get lost because of cannon defective cable and the cost is about 500.00 to 600.00 dollar's due to cannon products such as the cable there is no room for sarcasm it is not like this cost is 5 or 10 bucks. Then try to find out if this has happened to anyone else on the sight and why it did and these people could be pissed off to.

7 hours ago, HB2 said:

I'll bet it's happened to a lot of people. 

And there is always room for humor and sarcasm . It gets me thru the day. 

Could be worse . 

It happened to me, I saw the thing break in front of my eyes and go down to join all the other probes. It sucked when it happened, and I felt like you know what. But that was 2 weeks  ago and now I can have a bitter sweet laugh about it. Wait till it happens to you and see how it feels. But I agree, a good laugh about it puts it in perspective and makes you realize that when that is the worst thing that happens to you, your day is not so terrible.

Edited by rolmops