August 12-14 Niagra to Olcott

Looks like I booked a place to stay too early.  I just retired this year and now have time to fish (thank you for letting me fish in your pond!).

I live south of Cleveland and fish Erie... We have 96 million catchable walleye, please help yourselves!

We planned to fish Olcott several times starting in April/May but my brother had to go through cancer treatment and I could not leave him at home.

I hope to get my brother into any fish that will bend a rod.  Steelhead, coho, king, whatever.

Looks like I should have booked something closer to the middle of the lake.

If anyone can give help with location in the Niagra to Olcott area in the next week or so, I would really appreciate it.

Mature kings have been tough for us last 3 weeks. Been some excellent offshore steelhead and coho though. 400-500 fow straight out of wilson. spoons have been best, but f/fs have taken a few also. only ran meat twice, nada both times. Couple of the coho were good 13-15lbers. This last weekend we got our only mature king (maybe 18-20lb) of the last 3 weeks. Came on wire diver with spoon about 130’ line out over 440 fow. last weekend the water was 42 degrees 50’ down….

I grew up in Elyria, just west of Cleveland, and fished Lake Erie walleye with my grandfather. A friend who fishes Erie out of Lorain had a work schedule that gave him every Friday off in the summer. So every Friday about 8 AM my phone would start blowing up with pictures of his fish well jammed with huge walleye. We appreciate the depth and colder water of Lake Ontario for the salmon, steelhead, and trout it holds, but there is something to be said for a shallower lake that provides easy pickings on a very tasty fish like walleye.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BreakingBass said:

I grew up in Elyria, just west of Cleveland, and fished Lake Erie walleye with my grandfather. A friend who fishes Erie out of Lorain had a work schedule that gave him every Friday off in the summer. So every Friday about 8 AM my phone would start blowing up with pictures of his fish well jammed with huge walleye. We appreciate the depth and colder water of Lake Ontario for the salmon, steelhead, and trout it holds, but there is something to be said for a shallower lake that provides easy pickings on a very tasty fish like walleye.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ya….It’s ok….I fish out of Conneaut a couple dozen times a year on meat hunts but I get tired of dragging in walleye like oversized top water lures. I need the thrill of something that actually fights a few times a year.

• Like 1

We were there week before last and got a few kings in the low teens but had an awesome steelie bite 480-510. 200 weighted steel was en fuego!!!  Needed to be setting lines a good half hour before you saw the sun. 40 & 60 rigger “mupped” (I learned a new term this year and wanted to use it) did ok too. Kings came on deep ff. 

1 hour ago, Eyecatcher said:

We caught a lot of small fish out deep but the fatties were tight.  There’s a lot of boats still out deep so they may be doing well. 

No real program.  Spoons and cut plugs seemed to pull most fish.  Haven’t done anything on flashers/flies.

Thanks!!!  

Thank you to everyone. 

We brought home 8 steel, a 5# coho, and a 10# king Friday and Saturday.  Could not find any pattern.  Hoped to get into a school of steel but did not happen.  A fish here and a fish there.  

Focused on steel and coho 40-60' in 300-500+.  My brother had a great time and that is what matters.

Thank you all again!!

• Like 2

I found her years ago and have held onto her for 8 years! Katias my lucky catch! I hope we all get a lucky partner to spend our time with! Tight lines!

A2FXamVQ-783060377.jpeg

QkGvmmUZ-782472376.jpeg

Edited by zach