Water in gas

slice o life

I am not certain this is the correct forum for this question but. Is anyone know if there are any companies that will filter a gas tank from a boat to separate water.

After 24 hours of run time and 138 gallons burned I had my fuel separator completely water and the cup inside the engine as well.

It is a brand new boat with a new Yamaha 250.

Any help will be great.

Thanks,

Slice o life

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

High octane pump gas containing ethanol will take care of your issue. 
Ideally half a tank or so on top of what’s in your tank. Burn through it and return to non ethanol marine fuel. 

5 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

High octane pump gas containing ethanol will take care of your issue. 
Ideally half a tank or so on top of what’s in your tank. Burn through it and return to non ethanol marine fuel. 

Not a good practice, at all..... Ethanol will absorb the the water and actually fall out of the gasoline making the tank issue worse....... its called phase separation - you'll be left with sub-grade 83 octane unleaded which will cause engine "ping". Your best bet is find a shop with an air pump (for safety reasons), suck out everything in the tank and dispose of it, then start over with non ethanol 91 octane.

Buy the cartridge for your external fuel filter/water separator that has the clear cup and drain valve.  You can put that type of separator on a standard housing.  They are available without the housing.  You can then drain very often until the problem is solved. May even be able to find one with an automatic drain that you can run a hose from into a container. Since it is a new boat it may have come from the place you purchased the gas.  I would treat that place like the plague. I would also check the seal around the gas cap, especially if it in a complete horizontal position

• Like 1

I had 3 yr old ethanol gas in my boat and didn't want to try it on Erie. I went to Lowes and bought clear plastic line and bought a cheap electric fuel pump off eBay. then i pumped as much fuel out as i could. filled it up with new gas and thought i was good. but got to Erie and took off. on the way out it was running good then it would take short spells of missing badly. after the 4th tank it ran like it always has. just pump it out and get new gas and add as much gas dry for the gas you have.