Downrigger at 90 or 45 degrees?torque/pressure

BRsnow

Finally getting around to boat set up. Lund track system on an adventure is thin, using Scotty 1106b and 10lb shark weights , using the track system I need to be careful with putting too much pressure. I mostly fish inland with 10lb weights, with a few salmon trips mixed in. I wa thinking 36-48” boom at angle would put less pressure and still get a good spread, only running 2 downriggers. If it does work, I can mount a rail flush on boat but prefer to try track system first. With be a 30” track mount on the rail, appreciate the insights.

On my boat I went with 48” track. My boat is 22’. No regrets.Riggers are mounted at end of track almost in back corner.Forward from each rigger is a ball cradle and 4 traxstech adjustable rod holders. Rod holders get lots of use. Sometimes we run 2 diver rods per side. Also there used for board rods. Be sure and use backing plates with your track. Good luck.

A force on an angle such as a downrigger weight being pulled with "dropback" has two components.  A vertical component force pulling straight down and a horizontal force pulling straight back.  The vertical component will not change by angling the downriggers 45 degrees.  The horizontal component  however, will change at 45 degrees.  It will be .707 x the non angle or 90 degree position.  So, it will be a bit over 1/4 less horizontal pulling force.  

On 8/7/2022 at 10:27 AM, BRsnow said:

Finally getting around to boat set up. Lund track system on an adventure is thin, using Scotty 1106b and 10lb shark weights , using the track system I need to be careful with putting too much pressure. I mostly fish inland with 10lb weights, with a few salmon trips mixed in. I wa thinking 36-48” boom at angle would put less pressure and still get a good spread, only running 2 downriggers. If it does work, I can mount a rail flush on boat but prefer to try track system first. With be a 30” track mount on the rail, appreciate the insights.

I had similar thoughts when setting up my down riggers. Somewhere I found a recommended boom length for 10 lb weights on Lund track systems. 
I looked at track lengths and ball weights for Salmon and decided to mount on plywood decking with extra plates on top and underneath to sandwich and use nuts on screws.

handles long boom and 15 lb weights nicely. I added an OC mount on boom for stiffness while stowed. 

B04CAC1A-35F5-4789-8AF1-247DBF350F8E.jpeg

D130F4D1-F02C-456F-8BAC-F99CD4B00EF0.jpeg