In-hull transducers

pete277

I am switching from a totalscan transducer for my lowrance carbon 9.

Never used the side scan and hardly ever the down scan. I mostly troll for salmon. I have been looking at the airmar P79 which is 50/200. It looks pretty easy to install. My question is I see that they make model called XSonic P79. What’s the difference other than the standard P79 is 7 pin for lowrance and the XSonic is 9 pin. Thanks in advance.

I would not recommend that transducer. Airmar B60 thru-hull is going to be the way to go. Shoot-thru are OK for measuring depth, but I have not seen what type of detail is lost having to send a signal through a fiberglass hull. I would assume different thicknesses of hulls would perform differently. 

I really don’t want to drill a hole in the bottom of my boat. The p79 is only like 125 bucks, if it doesn’t work out and alot of detail is lost I can always do a transom mount. This is a project for next year so I have a little time to think about it.

Never used a shoot thru, but have used plenty thru hull ‘ducers.  It is a really easy job that looks bigger than it is. I’d say two days max out of the water if you are fully prepared with all your materials. Day one is prep and install. Day two is letting the 4200(not 5200) cure and routing the wire. Two days and you’re on the water getting great images at just about all the speeds you’ll need. You’ll be glad you made the leap. 

14 hours ago, High Bidder said:

It took me a lot of planning and courage to drill that 2 3/8" hole in my hull for the B60. I had to machine special wrenches to install it, but it was well worth it. No more fading at higher speeds.

I installed a B60 this past spring and bought the correct crows foot wrench needed to install it. If someone ends up going the B60 route and needs the wrench shoot me a PM and I'll mail it to you to use.